Bichir 75 Gallon

ilovefish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2019
Im thinking about getting a 75 Gallon New world Cichlid Tank. I’ll keep some peaceful cichlids and an African knife fish. Do you think a bichir would be suitable? What are the species you can recommend? Are there any special things I need to know?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest delhezi, palmas, senegalus, gold dust, retro. The other larger polys and may see some missing fish or fin nipping. Don’t feed any live food.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What species of those could you recommend for a beginner? Does any of those also eat Pellets?
Can always are a Senegalus. They are readily available and stay at a smaller size so it’s manageable Will take pellets most pellets, massivore.

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Im thinking about getting a 75 Gallon New world Cichlid Tank. I’ll keep some peaceful cichlids and an African knife fish. Do you think a bichir would be suitable? What are the species you can recommend? Are there any special things I need to know?
They need an enclosed top, but you need to leave space for them to get air. They surface regularly for air. What cichlids are you proposing to house with it? They dont do well against aggressive tank mates, they dont usually think in those terms.
As stated above sens are a good choice they tend to be one of the more active polys. Personally delhezi are my favorite they can be lumps but they get active periods too. Polys like golddust, retro, Palmas, tend to hide alot. Polli are great too mixed reviews on their activity though mine is semi active others say they are like sens but prettier. Ill give them the prettier but activity level is alot lower.

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

ilovefish2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2019
I Think ill do More peaceful species like electric blue acara or sajica. Nothing too aggressive. Ill also have a african knife fish in the tank.

Reactions: twentyleagues

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Like to add from personal experience that even the mildest aggressive Cichlids can turn highly aggressive especially if they spawn.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store