bichir dumped on me because owners are scared of it

Speedtospare

Feeder Fish
Nov 15, 2017
Im in the gta. How big of a tank will they require. I have a 90 gallon free. Just finished welding my 280 gallon stand together. Now looking for acrylic suppliers.

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Haha holy **** this seriously cracked me up. I'd love to have such a fish.

How big are the fish in the other tanks? The Bichir (presumably a Delhezi) should be fine with most fish over 3-4 inches. Smaller than that and they probably will end up as food sooner or later.

Bichirs are however fine with almost any other species of fish, so long as size differences aren't too great. Although capable killers, they usually aren't very aggressive.
+1
dang those frogs are HUGE. The gulper catfish is cute. :)

Bichers are wonderful fish with great personalities. Care is pretty easy, but you have to do what works best for you and your situation. Sad the owners were scared of it. Probably they got frightened because they found the fish out of the tank a lot. That problem could be solved with covering all openings of tank with a lid and holding that down wit weighted objects (like a water bottle) that cold be moved when feeding. Another option is duct tape.

Reactions: magpie

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
was not the actual owner it was the daughter and wife who got scared cause they said it looked like a lizard and really creeped them out. I think he jumped out the filter hole the tank was covered. hes alone atm in a cube 30g no way he can get out

hes about 6 or 7 inch? He hides a lot.

They dont even bite do they? sengal bircher I think are actually cute, the rest other than ornate not a fan of.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
yeah they do the crocadile roll eh

gta means greater toronto area loooooool

a lot of fish people play gta? lmao why?
what does the game gta stand for?
Im in the gta. How big of a tank will they require. I have a 90 gallon free. Just finished welding my 280 gallon stand together. Now looking for acrylic suppliers.
a 90 gal could be a good short term home. Endlicheris are a type of Lower jaw bichir that can get pretty big, around 2 feet(give or take). Therefore tank width is more important than height. Would suggest at least a 180gal for long term.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
speedo you can grow him out in 90 g he will look real nice then u can put him in ur giant tank

I always thought ornate were the most aggressive of all

My sengal as a baby started trying to swallow everything he could and they are more peaceful kind??@?!?!!?

can't imagine how bad this guy would be

my cichlids are all africans except the electric jacks so no way can they handle him for long, if they were red devils or something sure but i got out of NA cichlids other than jd

electric jd would get picked on, soon as they get picked on they die even a molly could bully them

I really wanted a brackish tank with a moray or pig nosed puffer.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
was not the actual owner it was the daughter and wife who got scared cause they said it looked like a lizard and really creeped them out. I think he jumped out the filter hole the tank was covered. hes alone atm in a cube 30g no way he can get out

hes about 6 or 7 inch? He hides a lot.

They dont even bite do they? sengal bircher I think are actually cute, the rest other than ornate not a fan of.
sounds like you are a fan of the upper jaw bichirs (ornate, senegal, etc) as opposed to the lower jaw (endlis, lap, pbb).

They can bite, although are opportunistic feeders. Some can be territorial or aggressive towards other bichirs (but most are peaceful to each other). Sometimes ornates get a rep for being aggressive. Honestly it depends on the individual fish though. In general, bichirs get along with other large(similarly sized fish) fish except if they can fit in their mouths ;)
I would be more worried about the spines in the dorsal finlets than the bite to be honest.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
speedo you can grow him out in 90 g he will look real nice then u can put him in ur giant tank

I always thought ornate were the most aggressive of all

My sengal as a baby started trying to swallow everything he could and they are more peaceful kind??@?!?!!?

can't imagine how bad this guy would be

my cichlids are all africans except the electric jacks so no way can they handle him for long, if they were red devils or something sure but i got out of NA cichlids other than jd

electric jd would get picked on, soon as they get picked on they die even a molly could bully them

I really wanted a brackish tank with a moray or pig nosed puffer.
Bichirs are opportunistic feeders, so if there is food available, they will more than likely try to eat it. Especially if there are a lot of smaller fish that can fit in their mouths. This is the case with CB(captive bred) that often will overeat if food is available in abundance. Some do not seem to have the appetite regulation that the wild caught have, and thus have an insatiable appetite. With CBs, it is important not to overfeed as this can cause health problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store