Bichir Fight!

Fishman1318

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
RI
I just looked over and saw my senegal bichir take a big bite into my Ornate. I was like whhaaaa? I dont know why he just did that, they get along great. I did notice afterwards that my ornate was chewing on something so maybe the senegal was like give it up i want that food? I put some more food in there but just wanna make sure my senegal isnt hitting maturity and getting territorial or something.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
In my tank its my Ornate thats the nipper. He gets mad if any others go near his log. I am pretty sure its normal.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
SG what you are seeing is normal i have seen 3'' senegals claim territory and defend it which is what yours is doing.

FM what you are seeing is also normal the senegal is trying establish a hierarchy in the tank also normal.

a true fight is much more involved event

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Fishman1318;2777571; said:
I just looked over and saw my senegal bichir take a big bite into my Ornate. I was like whhaaaa? I dont know why he just did that, they get along great. I did notice afterwards that my ornate was chewing on something so maybe the senegal was like give it up i want that food? I put some more food in there but just wanna make sure my senegal isnt hitting maturity and getting territorial or something.

What are the sizes of your polypterus?

Have you had them for the same amount of time or has the senegalus been alone in the tank for a while before you got the ornate?

Anne is correct that this is a normal behavior for polypterus, they establish dominance at first, but will eventually calm down and let alone the new fish.

I prefer to keep them together in these situations and let them sort it themselves. Unless the new bichirs gets completely shredded, which will only happen if your established poly happens to be unusually aggressive, everything should be fine.

crowxviii;2778215; said:
I think ornates are usually the bully type. you guys might want to check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51oLrMBqN3s

Really any species is capable of aggression. From the recent four polys I picked up, the new female polli just doesn't seem very popular in the tank.

The big beuttikoferi I got at the same time as the polli has been picking on her, and Big Betty my established female polli, has been picking on her too. Everyone else lives in peace. I can't explain what it could be other than possibly the two bigger females see the younger female as a fish they can easily dominate? My plat sen and delhezi are both male, and there are no aggression issues between themselves, or the large females.

In that video, I thought it may have been related to spawning, but I realize now the fish were wayy too young. It was just unusual that a newly introduced male would attack the established female. She ended up establishing her dominance though :)

FishGoneWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
32 Polypterus Way, Africa
Cohazard;2778299; said:
Really any species is capable of aggression. From the recent four polys I picked up, the new female polli just doesn't seem very popular in the tank.

The big beuttikoferi I got at the same time as the polli has been picking on her, and Big Betty my established female polli, has been picking on her too. Everyone else lives in peace. I can't explain what it could be other than possibly the two bigger females see the younger female as a fish they can easily dominate? My plat sen and delhezi are both male, and there are no aggression issues between themselves, or the large females.
The female specy enjoys being dramatic and do not take criticisms well from other females. That's probably what's going on with your female polys.:ROFL:

Fishman, here is another bichir fighting video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5fucDi2lo

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
that video makes me lol everytime :ROFL:

Man I regret letting go that big palmas palmas! You have too many sell me one of your smaller ones :D

Fishman1318

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
RI
Ive had the senegal longer than the ornate but theyve been in the tank together for the same amount of time...I'm actually thinking of placing both of them into my big tank cause theyre big enough to not be beat up by my pbass and then going out and growing up new polys. Theyve got a delhizi down at my lfs for about 30 bucks and its a very good looking fish and I really want it now lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store