Bichir hunger/digestion rate

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Curious if anyone has experience or knowledge in regard to this topic, thank you ahead of time.

1. Do they digest at the same rate we do?

2. If they are still full/stomach bulge after 8+ hours, did they overeat?

3. Does age/raw tilapia vs. pellets play a factor in their digestion rate?

Last edited:

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Loaded questions....

I do know with my polys that pellets seem to be digested at a faster rate and I can feed quite often and they can pack it away and then be ready for another meal soon after. When I feed raw foods like tilapia or silversides, they usually need an extra day to digest. So I feed every other day on the raw foods.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Im guessing that pellet get digested faster and raw slower like DMD123 DMD123 mentioned. Just think of pellet as a ice cream and our air slowly melts it, same as pellets, it slowly melts in water, and once a poly eats it it melts faster cause of their digestive system. Thats just my opinion.

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Thanks for the info, a day/24 hours to digest, esp if food is raw fish. If anyone disagrees with this, your input is welcome.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thanks for the info, a day/24 hours to digest, esp if food is raw fish. If anyone disagrees with this, your input is welcome.
I would say more like 48 hours with raw foods where the poly eats till it has noticeable food bulge. This would be to fully digest and be ready for another feeding. Not that they wont eat again in the meantime but this every other day feeding seems to be the best method for raw foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store