Bichir not eating???

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have kept bichirs for years and have owned 9 different species at one time. I have one of the Hybrid sp's from reboth. I have had him for over a month now so I know he has had to of eaten at some point. I had him and my endlicheri in a 20 gallon quarantine tank and fed them feeders twice and the rest of the time krill and earthworms. This whole time I have never seen the hybrid eat. I just moved them to my 200 gallon tank and I still have not seen him eat. I have been hand feeding my two other bichirs in that tank (endlicheri and weeksii). I have also been hand feeding the 2 spotted gars in that tank. The hybrid will not eat anything. I use a small metal rod that I stick worms, krill, and beef heart on and dangle it in front of them and everything snatches the food right up. The hybrid just sits motionless. It has been 3 days since his tank move and now his eyes are starting to cloud slightly. Could it be something I am overlooking. Water is 78 degrees with a pH of 7.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrates barely read.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Its probably eating at night scouring the bottom for bits and pieces of food.So try feeding it just after you trun off the tank lights-Anne

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The hybrid sp has cloudy eye which I think he got it when I had him in the smaller tank. I did not pay close attention to the quality of water int that tank. I am treating him with malachite green and formalin. I hope he pulls through. Has anyone reversed cloudy eye in polypterus?

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Yup a simple waterchange cleared it up-Anne

Lizardking

Jocke
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Sweden
beblondie;1506319; said:
Its probably eating at night scouring the bottom for bits and pieces of food.So try feeding it just after you trun off the tank lights-Anne
I agree. I do the same with my delhezi. Really the only way for him to get some food because of his tankmates , ( oscars ).

estuary

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
great white north
Lizardking;1513388; said:
I agree. I do the same with my delhezi. Really the only way for him to get some food because of his tankmates , ( oscars ).
i have 2 laps, had them for 2 years never seen them eat
feed at night
add saltfor a few days , then waterchange will clear up the cloady eye no problem

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
The hybrid? As far as I know there are no hybrids... maybe you bought Polypterus sp. Koliba? Debate exists as to whether that's a new species or a subspecies of lapradei.

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
Druu;1514110; said:
The hybrid? As far as I know there are no hybrids... maybe you bought Polypterus sp. Koliba? Debate exists as to whether that's a new species or a subspecies of lapradei.
There are a bunch of hybrid bichirs which are mainly found in Japan. The hybrid the OP is talking about is the hyrbid Toyin brought in from Africa. I'm not sure what it looks like since I don't think anyone has posted a pic of it yet.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
This is the best pic I have of him. His eyes are completely clouded over even with two 25% water changes and two days of malachit green and formalin treatment. Water perameters are still 0 on everything. I am afraid he is blind and the stress has caused him to stop eating. It has been 7 days since he has been in the new tank without eating. I have tried to feed him at night with no success. He just sits in the back corner by himself. Feeders and ghost shrimp hid behind him and he doesn't even flinch. I am afraid he is going to die.

bichir1.jpg

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
wow, be careful with malachite green and formalin (not trying to disrespect you if you know what you're doing). i hadn't seen my new lap eat until i threw some feeders in for the payara. the lap ate a couple and then the next day, i saw it eating other stuff i threw in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store