Bichirs eating bichirs

Rawwrizzysaurus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2016
Ive heard different word on if weather a larger bichir can coexist with smaller ones..
Some people say theyll be fine, others say theyll get eaten.. is my 6" senegal going to eat my bichirs? I have 2 other senegals and 2 delhezis all around 2-3". The 6" is currently in a 55 and the others in a grow out tank..

Rawwrizzysaurus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2016
The tank gets 2 cubes of bloodworms before work and 2 more in the morning.. he usually manages to snatch one up to himself while the rainbows fight for the other.. he doesnt really compete with food unless my clown loach wants to be greedy..

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's always juvie endlis that are eating other bichirs. Not so much with upper jaws either.

If the bichir is wider than its mouth then no need to worry. Don't feed live fish as well. This will help.

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The tank gets 2 cubes of bloodworms before work and 2 more in the morning.. he usually manages to snatch one up to himself while the rainbows fight for the other.. he doesnt really compete with food unless my clown loach wants to be greedy..
Try getting them on pellets and cut up some tilapia into small pieces get it from your local grocery store. More nutritional than bllod worms.

SinclairTheDinosaur

Feeder Fish
Oct 25, 2016
I agree, feeding him live feeder fish will stimulate the hunting instinct and he will probably show more aggression. However my senegal is quite aggressive with anything that moves slower such as a 4 inch catfish I had. Even though the cat fish was to big to really eat he ended up beating up the cat until it died. Your smaller bichirs may get the same treatment until they are large enough to defend themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store