Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Big arowana ate small arowana!

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by Janella_hermosa, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Janella_hermosa

Janella_hermosa Feeder Fish

Janella Hermosa
      Wednesday at 5:13 AM
      Good evening, this is my first post and glad to meet you guys. We had this Silver Arowana named Dino for like 4 years and it's 31 to 32 inches by tape measure, my sister bought a new one but with the different color, she said that its Malaysian Green and it is really small it is 4 to 6 inches and put it on Dino's Tank. After a while, it was lost and no it didn't jump. Dino ate it! We're very surprised because we didn't know Arowana will eat the same species. Is it normal? My sister is very sad because it costs more and the seller said that it was okay to mix them so she did. Dino's tank size is 200 gallons. Will Dino die? Is it safe to put Arowana with Arowana?

2. kno4te

kno4te MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Ron
      Today at 7:06 AM
      Yes. This can happen. Arowanas have to be same size and check aggression. Tank size etc. The seller was wrong.

General rule, if it can fit in it’s mouth then it will eat it.

3. Backfromthedead

Joe roades
      Yesterday at 9:00 PM
      No surprises here. A 32" aro will eat anything short of a foot in length. And even then it better be a tough, bulky fish.

Dont trust sellers! Especially in the case of an expensive, large fish. Seller probably wouldve said anything to get the money.

A 200 gallon tank is probably absolute minimum for your aro, but I'll let somebody who has more experience keeping them chime in on tank specs for 2 of them.

tlindsey and Janella_hermosa like this.
    4. Janella_hermosa

Janella Hermosa
      That seller grrr! My sister said that it's really expensive if she buys a big one. Thanks, we learned our lesson.

Matteus, islandguy11 and tlindsey like this.
    5. Janella_hermosa

Janella Hermosa
      Oh, thanks! Dino is my father's fish but he passed away so we took care of it ever since. We never knew about fish other than feeding it with shrimp and change the water. 200 gallons is the minimum? Omg! I thought it was big for Dino.

narayanang76 likes this.
    6. Backfromthedead

Joe roades
      Yesterday at 9:00 PM
      I wont tell you what youre doing is wrong or anything, 200 gallons is probably better than what a lot of aros get, but most experienced aro keepers on this site will recommend a minimum 8' long by 3' wide tank to properly keep silver arowanas. I have always wanted one myself, but never had the accomodations. Would like to see some pics of your fish if you get a chance though. Big aros are always favorites around here.

7. phreeflow

phreeflow Piranha

45 minutes ago
      Complain to the seller. It seems clear he/she took advantage of a novice. No responsible pet store is going to tell someone to put a 4-6” anything with a 32” aro. Tell them to replace it

8. tlindsey

tlindsey Blue Tier VIP

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      50 minutes ago
      This is why it is so important to do research prior to impulse buying.

9. narayanang76

narayanang76 Piranha

narayanang76
      Yesterday at 10:33 PM
      What is Dino's diet and feeding frequency? Can we see a pic of him?

It's quite natural, his instinct that he ate a small fish in his tank. And it may also be that he was hungry at that time so you can look at his diet more closely and take more care of him. I would give more preference to Dino's care given his association with your dad and his current size and age.. and better not to disturb the setup and leave him like that. And read more about silver Arowana care..

10. thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter Gold Tier VIP

Viktor
      Yesterday at 2:11 PM
      Agree with all the guys are saying above.

IMHO, 500 gal is a minimum size for a 2.5'-3' arowana. But as stated just above, if you are inexperienced, rehoming and upgrading (even if you are able to do it financially and room-wise) can prove dangerous.

Please, don't feed your arowana only shrimp. It will cause it to develop a vitamin B1 deficiency, wither, and die. (Read up on thiaminase.)

The diet better be diverse. Pellets and whole frozen-thawed fish would be the staples and crustaceans like shrimp, insects would be good as treats.

Our silver aros in 4500 gal: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-silver-arowana-in-4500-gal.688112/#post-7755675