Big arowana ate small arowana!

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Oh, thanks! Dino is my father's fish but he passed away so we took care of it ever since. We never knew about fish other than feeding it with shrimp and change the water. 200 gallons is the minimum? Omg! I thought it was big for Dino.
We would all love to see pictures of that beast, what are the tank dimensions

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That seller grrr! My sister said that it's really expensive if she buys a big one. Thanks, we learned our lesson.
Did you or your sister explain to the seller that you have a large arowana?......and if you still want to get another arowana you can set up a smaller tank in which to raise and grow the little guy until it is big enough to be safely housed with Dino.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Did you or your sister explain to the seller that you have a large arowana?......and if you still want to get another arowana you can set up a smaller tank in which to raise and grow the little guy until it is big enough to be safely housed with Dino.
I think she said Dino died

Reactions: Janella_hermosa

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
temperament generarilazations of a fish are just that...general guidelines to determine co species get along abilities in confined man made spaces...sorry for your loss!!!

30007__13969.1522376008.jpg
this is a beautiful specimen...zebra pleco...would really accent the bland appearance of a wild arowana and could hold its own in a display tank with a silver arowana because of its defensive pectorial fin spikes!!!
good luck...

recommendation...not a guarentee of co habitual success and yah...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Janella_hermosa

Janella_hermosa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2018
Agree with all the guys are saying above.

IMHO, 500 gal is a minimum size for a 2.5'-3' arowana. But as stated just above, if you are inexperienced, rehoming and upgrading (even if you are able to do it financially and room-wise) can prove dangerous.

Please, don't feed your arowana only shrimp. It will cause it to develop a vitamin B1 deficiency, wither, and die. (Read up on thiaminase.)

The diet better be diverse. Pellets and whole frozen-thawed fish would be the staples and crustaceans like shrimp, insects would be good as treats.

Our silver aros in 4500 gal: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-silver-arowana-in-4500-gal.688112/#post-7755675
Wowww! Very huge tank! You guys really love your fish! Salute!

Reactions: tlindsey

Janella_hermosa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2018
View attachment 1347549
this is a beautiful specimen...zebra pleco...would really accent the bland appearance of a wild arowana and could hold its own in a display tank with a silver arowana because of its defensive pectorial fin spikes!!!
good luck...
So cute! I dont know where to get it locally but I will consider it if we buy fishes for Dino. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store