Biggest Black Ghost Knife

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think that top photo is forced perspective. But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't!

I would guess at least 18" maybe more.

I guess this using this video of an 18 incher as a size reference
That's huge!

Reactions: amazontank
"Josh's Fish" on youtube has a 18 inch BGK. Doesn't quite compare really
He's a member here. Josh's Fish Josh's Fish would you care to comment?

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
It’s a shame that they average under 10” in the hobby. Like my lfs that sells red tail cats and pacu to kids with 30 gallons. (Bobs Tropical Fish, in Augusta Georgia...feel free to flame them)
It’s a gorgeous fish. And obviously a huge one. Has to be around 2’ but it’s just a guess. Old fish have a look to them. And the coloration around his head makes me think he’s a giant grandpa ghost knife.

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
The original image is a forced perspective of a male that's been floating around for a few years (likely under 20 inch, 22-24" at absolute most). When they exceed 17-20 inch, the eyes are useless organs (could almost say vestigial) and the skin will either grow over them, or they lose those organs through atrophy. The original one pictured looks like it still has light reflecting off its lens, so it's difficult to believe this specimen is over 2ft; although I do believe this is a species which can very easily reach that size in time.

Here's one of mine after the eye becomes naturally atrophied.1362858

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Very interesting! Why would it lose it's eye over time? Does it then rely on the electrosensory organs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store