Biggest mistakes you have made in aquarium keeping?

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
For me it was proper filtration, too much aeration/turbulence and not siphoning the gravel
I have returned a few fish to petco because i didnt have proper setups and they were struggling

Reactions: Deadeye

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Biggest mistake I ever made (this was when I was 9 and knew next to nothing) was having 15 common goldfish, 1 koi, 1 pumpkinseed, 2 bluegills, and 2 common plecos in a very poorly maintained 240 liter tank. There was a big crash less than 6 months after we set it up, and nothing survived. I didn't know enough to do proper maintenance either. Egad it was bad.

As for mistakes I made after having some idea of what I was doing, the worst (from 3 years ago) was trusting Big Al's recommendation that 3 yoyo/zebra loaches would be enough (it wasn't, they got very aggressive towards my properly-numbered group of 6 clown loaches). I was not comfortable at the time trusting sites like Loaches Online/MonsterFishKeepers/etc, which, looking back in hindsight, I should have been.
(Fortunately, that Big Al's has now upped its minimum loach recommendations, I am no longer afraid of online fish advice, and I will ensure to have both of those species in proper numbers when it comes time to purchase them this upcoming summer).

Reactions: Deadeye

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Back in the early days the biggest mistake I ever made was believing I knew more than what I actually did! However, my fishkeeping track record back then told me that I was severely lacking.

I've been trying ever since to improve and, as a result, I feel I'm in a better position now. My early experiences are always there to remind me to not get too complacent.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
My biggest mistake was buying a pacu for $20- which in turn cost me much more than that to get it set up and led me down the rabbit trail of finding this site and going all in. Lol
Then didn’t that benefit you ? how is that a mistake? The more the better

• Love
Reactions: Deadeye and Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store