Biggest unexpected fish loss ?

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
sounds like a pain in the ass to me , i really dont wanna have kids now , it will take away from my hobby

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
nobody with common sense wants kids. The problem is people who dont want kids are naturally bred out of the population by their own choice, lol.

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
My biggest was the last time I had monsters..

DEAD:

19" RTC
22" TSN
15" Tiger Oscar
13" Midas with biggest nuchal I have ever had (still not great, but nice..)

Alive:

14" Paroon
22" Red Tail Giant Gourami
26" Silver Aro
19" Blue Snakehead

230 gallon - I know I was playing with death...too crowded, but 20% water change every 3 days, tank was sumped - 60 gallon overflow with 600gph pump, 3 fluval 403, 4 Aquaclear 500 and a Rio pump for extra surface aeration..

What happened:
I fed my catfish large sticklebacks, beef-heart and squid - lots of it.
Power went off during the day while I was at work
I come home, park my car in front of my house, and I could alread smell the stench of dead fish outside by my car 15 ft away from the house.
Get inside, see about 10 partially digested sticklebacks, and other crap..2/3 of my favorite fish dead. When the power went off, they must have been breathing hard, and they all must have threw-up. Made things worse.

What surprised me was the Paroon shark made it. Would have figured he would be a goner. Can understand all the other fish, as they all breathe air, but the paroon..I was so heartbroken I got rid of EVERYTHING and shut-down the tank for about a year...told myself no more monsters...

2 years ago, I started up the tank, got africans and SMALL centrals..and a few odd-balls here and there. Now I come across this site, and it has renewed my passion! lol

I am leaving work right now to pick up my first Tigrinus..wish me luck..no more crowding...I have to pick between getting rid of a 3.5" black rhom or 4 - 2.5" Herichtys bartoni - all in full color....I just can't decide.....Tigrinus will eat bartoni, rhom will kill Tigrinus, Tigrinus-rhom-bartonis all fish food in big tank..

hmm...rhom in sump...that should work! Yet another sump fish!

kman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Toronto Canada
rui, man that is one huge disaster.....no wonder u shutdown tank

good luck with your tig.....this guy will be monster soon

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
Phatboy said:
the most surprising:
all was good until I woke up the next morning to find my first ever pair of rays dead. they were rectic rays.

the most painful:
my pair of motoros perished, after about 8 months in my care.
Sorry brother, About to take the plung with rays my self any advice. I think I have the water quality down, but you never realy know.

amindbesideitself

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2005
Nothern VA
WckedMidas said:
went on vacation last august to florida keys. Old ladys son was suposed to be takeing care of the fish feeding them takeing care of our raccoon we had . **** like that. Told him anything goes wrong with my fishtanks callme. I could either tell him how to fix it get a friend of mine to come fix it or worse case secnaryo ide cut vacation short in a hartbeat. Anyway week latter get back come upstairs to take a piss somethink stinks like death. Open the bed room door look at my 65 gal its completely green no filtration running no airpump nothing a dead ****ing tank. Altogether the folowing died
1 dovi
1 peacock bass
1 red forest jewlcichlid
1 goldnugget pleco
1 albino ancisturus pleco
butterkofery tilipia
2 mbuna
3 sunnys
orange stripe raphial
and some others i cant remember.
now all were under 2 inchs in size . they all died
onlything survived was the other jewl fish amazeingly, my bichirs and channa gachua

Then comeing to find out instead of him takeing care of the coon he just came in the room threw some food in the bowl and walked out . Now this is a baby coon wanting lovein and petting he abandond it. And it never was realy the same . Acted like it didnt even no us. took while for it to get use to us again
Ouch, what a terrible loss. And the poor racoon..
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

d20monsteroscar20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Missouri City, TX
I had lost many fishes that I liked, however last yr on my birthday I lost an albino coridory. I know you must be laughting but that was the oldest fish I had and if she/he would be alive that would be 3 yrs now. during my party someone must had scared the fish by shaking my tank or something, so wen after everything was over I went to cheack on the fishes and he was sucked by my filter and died. After that I dont let no one, I mean no one get closer to my tanks without my permition!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store