Bioactive Vivarium - Gargoyle Gecko

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello MFK,
Wanted to share another hobby of mine, herp/reptile keeping, and building naturalistic enclosures.
This is my newest bioactive enclosure, built for a New Caledonian Rhacodactylus Auriculatus (Gargoyle gecko). The tank is a standard 20long (12x12x30) fitted with the iheartgeckos vertical door kit. The tank was set up and planted about 3 months ago now, and I have seen great growth in all of the plants in that time. I gave them about a month before introducing my gargoyle gecko named "Nino".
Early construction
image0.jpg

Finished product
20l2.jpeg

20l1.jpeg

20l4.jpeg

The encolsure is fully drainable, with a hidden siphon tube into the eggcrate/rock false bottom. I use ABG mix substrate which absorbs water well, and I have not needed to drain at all yet.
20l3.jpeg

And here is the resident, "El Nino Rojo" aka Nino. He is a red base/red blotch reticulated morph with good genes, who will hopefully be a breeder for me this year.
Nino 7-2020.jpeg
Nino2-7-2020.jpeg

Thanks for viewing, let me know if any questions.
-GS

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Awesome. I so wish I could do something like that but, alas, I have a bearded dragon which limits the humidity I can work with. Maybe in the future. Sigh.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Awesome. I so wish I could do something like that but, alas, I have a bearded dragon which limits the humidity I can work with. Maybe in the future. Sigh.
Thanks. I have seen people build naturalistic vivariums for beardeds and leopard geckos with a desert theme. Just need to use different materials and desert plants, but it is do-able!
I do have an insect clean-up crew of both springtails and isopods. The springtails I bought online, the isopods originally came from my garden.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello MFK,
Wanted to share another hobby of mine, herp/reptile keeping, and building naturalistic enclosures.
This is my newest bioactive enclosure, built for a New Caledonian Rhacodactylus Auriculatus (Gargoyle gecko). The tank is a standard 20long (12x12x30) fitted with the iheartgeckos vertical door kit. The tank was set up and planted about 3 months ago now, and I have seen great growth in all of the plants in that time. I gave them about a month before introducing my gargoyle gecko named "Nino".
Early construction
View attachment 1424104

Finished product
View attachment 1424106

View attachment 1424105

View attachment 1424108

The encolsure is fully drainable, with a hidden siphon tube into the eggcrate/rock false bottom. I use ABG mix substrate which absorbs water well, and I have not needed to drain at all yet.
View attachment 1424107

And here is the resident, "El Nino Rojo" aka Nino. He is a red base/red blotch reticulated morph with good genes, who will hopefully be a breeder for me this year.
View attachment 1424111
View attachment 1424112

Thanks for viewing, let me know if any questions.
-GS
That's a awesome setup and that door kit was a excellent idea. That could be a great for Jackson Chameleon.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
That's a awesome setup and that door kit was a excellent idea. That could be a great for Jackson Chameleon.
The door kits are awesome, my only gripe about them (and what might make them less-than-ideal for a chameleon) is that the ventilation is not the best. I counter this by having a small fan which blows at the enclosure (and into the vents) for part of the day.

MatteoTheEnder22 MatteoTheEnder22 Thank you!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lovely stuff! I will show this to my brother, he also has big plans in mind for his geckos. Mind sharing some of the plants and so on? I need to start planning for my little crestie, only a few months old so plenty of time :D

Nino is a stunner by the way!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store