Black Ghost Knife Fish with Arowana?

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I am growing out a black Arowana, 4 Uarus, a spotted royal plecostemus and 10 clown loaches for a 500 - 600 gallon custom build. I will not give any live feeder fish to the Arowana in an effort to keep him viewing his companions as non edible neighbors. So far he's 6 inches long, trained onto insects and prepared food and he is by far the mellowest fish in the tank.

I would also like to add a black ghost knife fish to the crew.

Will that work with the black Arowana and friends? I haven't seen anything suggesting that it wouldn't work but wanted to get opinions from those who may have kept them together or just be more knowledgeable than I am.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Bgks are slow growing and a aro will outgrow it quickly. I’d say no. If it was a fully grown bgk then maybe. If it can fit in it’s mouth and it s always a chance. Jus imo.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Hmm, maybe raise the black ghost knife fish to adulthood in a different tank and then see where we stand with regard to the size difference?

I certainly don't want the knife fish to end up as a snack so if he needs to stay in another tank that's OK.

There was some concern about the clown loaches too but fortunately they are eating like pigs and growing quickly enough (I think) to keep themselves safely out of Brutus's mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store