Black tip reef shark tank size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
Sacramento
I have a question about the size tank needed to house a couple of black tip reef sharks for their entire lives.

My dads friend bought a very big new house and wants to get a giant fish tank to go with it. He wants a couple of what he calls a "real sharks" and I told him the smallest and best suited ones are black tip reefs and they grow to about 5ish feet. Basically he wants to know what size tank would be needed to house these for life comfortably. He has a wall that he believes is the best spot and it's just shy of 30 feet long, width wont be too big of a problem because there is a lot of room for that. So does anyone have any idea? Is there a way to buy blacktips that are genitally smaller than the average? He is filthy rich, so money isn't a problem, and they would get the best care and maintenance.

Also what are some good tank mates for reef sharks? I know about what fish not to keep with sharks for the shark's sake, but what are some good ones to keep to keep a friendly tank? He was thinking he wants maybe some bottom dwelling sharks like bamboos, or maybe shot tailed nurse sharks, but from what I've read those aren't legal here in the states. He was also thinking a couple of stingrays, and some eels, I was thinking more docile eels rather than aggressive ones cause I've seen a number of videos where sharks and eels didn't mix too well. Also some bigger fish and some schooling fish. Anyone know some good school fish?

I'm not too familiar with shark since I've never kept one, but he was also interested in a Leopard shark. Now I know they are a cool water shark and I told him that, but he said he saw a video and a couple of tanks where they had both a leopard and a blacktip in the same tank. Is that possible to keep both of these sharks in the same tank safely, or would it harm one of them because of water temp?

I've been a little out of the game since I no longer have a tank, but this will give me some good experience with sharks for the future. Any help would be greatly apprieciated, and again these sharks and fish in this tank will get the very best care by professionals. Thanks

Steve

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
for a great information key on any Saltwater shark or Stingray pick up the book form Scott W. Michael titled Aquarium Sharks & Rays. You'll find your answer and then some.

mr.reef24

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Nothing personal, but PLEASE stop reccomending that book. It's terrible - most shark keeperson here will agree with me. His suggestions for tank volumes are very wrong, and a lot of his 'facts' are incorrect as well. Also, if you look into it, he hasn't kept many of the species he's spouting off about.

Stealthie - if you want to house a black tip for life, he's going to be looking at something VERY large. Yes, they get five feet or so, but they are very active. I'd suggest something round, and 40 feet across OR MORE. He's also going to be looking at big money to filter and do water changes or set up a reclaim system as well.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
if he is so wrong then why Nevermind useless arguing with people who never wrote a book or have accomplished anything in the hobby

mr.reef24

paroon shark

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
MA
make it as big as possibe those things can be monsters and it hes filthy rich show us some pics after the tanks done

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
I agree with Matt (Zoodiver) about Aquarium Sharks & Rays. The figures he gives for the species is way too small to keep a shark in for life.

While is a few cases, Mr. Michael's figures could be considered the minimums to keep those species until they reach sexual maturity. However in most cases, to keep the species of sharks or rays to maturity would require a larger tank/pond than Mr. Michael's figures indicated.

For keeping a Blacktip Reef for Life - I would suggest a tank/pond of at least 30 ft in diameter as a bare minimum (assume it averages 5 ft long). With a depth of at least 6 ft. ORV Requiem sharks like the Blacktip Reef really should have a tank/pond with a minimum diameter that is at least 6 times their maximum length.

BTW both the Sharpnose & Bonnethead are generally smaller than the Blacktip Reef. However they both have some difficulty acclimating to captivity.

As for tank mates - definitely stay away from cool water species -like the Leopard Shark. As Blacktips are warm water species & generally require water temps that are too warm for Leopards, in the long run.

Species such as Bamboos or even small wobbegongs could work. As could many species of tropical rays. Groupers could be a good choice. Eels may be debateable depending on the exact size of the Eel and sharks.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
krj-1168;3234500; said:
I agree with Matt (Zoodiver) about Aquarium Sharks & Rays. The figures he gives for the species is way too small to keep a shark in for life.

While is a few cases, Mr. Michael's figures could be considered the minimums to keep those species until they reach sexual maturity. However in most cases, to keep the species of sharks or rays to maturity would require a larger tank/pond than Mr. Michael's figures indicated.

For keeping a Blacktip Reef for Life - I would suggest a tank/pond of at least 30 ft in diameter as a bare minimum (assume it averages 5 ft long). With a depth of at least 6 ft. ORV Requiem sharks like the Blacktip Reef really should have a tank/pond with a minimum diameter that is at least 6 times their maximum length.

BTW both the Sharpnose & Bonnethead are generally smaller than the Blacktip Reef. However they both have some difficulty acclimating to captivity.

As for tank mates - definitely stay away from cool water species -like the Leopard Shark. As Blacktips are warm water species & generally require water temps that are too warm for Leopards, in the long run.

Species such as Bamboos or even small wobbegongs could work. As could many species of tropical rays. Groupers could be a good choice. Eels may be debateable depending on the exact size of the Eel and sharks.
well said

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
mr.reef24;3233249; said:
if he is so wrong then why Nevermind useless arguing with people who never wrote a book or have accomplished anything in the hobby

mr.reef24

Not sure exactly what you are getting at with this post. Are you asking me to prove his 'facts' wrong? Or is the second part a jab at me and my background in captive shark care?

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
I had a nice long chat with the folks in charge of the sharks at the Mandalay Bay Aquarium yesterday. They've got a number of LARGE black tips in a 100K gallon tank - 45 x 30 x 10, roughly. They've had the sharks for many years now, and appear to be doing well.

Not really any opinion, or even data - just something to think about.

As for the commentary about the book, mr. reef's comment made no sense.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Zoodiver;3236267; said:
Not sure exactly what you are getting at with this post. Are you asking me to prove his 'facts' wrong? Or is the second part a jab at me and my background in captive shark care?
You'll have to forgive me sometimes I act stupid please just disregard that post. My apologies.

mr.reef24

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store