Bloodworm escaped

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
bloodworms are a common name, common names do not always correctly identify. If you are buying them at a pet store then they are likely not harmful to your fish, although there could be parasites or they could be carrying disease, which would be harmful to your fish. I would not feed them to your fish.

Also they are not mosquito larve.

yourockit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Los Angeles
duke33;1296493; said:
Dude, your a trip! Just tear off both ends. Don't worry so much. I like the fact that your trying to learn though.;)
haha, dude is having paranoid borderline psychotic delusions about his red worms. ahahah. better listen to duke and tear off both ends.haha

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
Bderick67;1297054; said:
bloodworms are a common name, common names do not always correctly identify. If you are buying them at a pet store then they are likely not harmful to your fish, although there could be parasites or they could be carrying disease, which would be harmful to your fish. I would not feed them to your fish.

Also they are not mosquito larve.
O.K. Mosquito-like.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Bloodworm.htm

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado

pangasiusfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
ku
Ok so the bworms from the local fish store won't eat my fish inside out would they?
they're tiny ones..

DISCIPLE

Candiru
MFK Member
Yin Wei;1297246; said:
They shouldn't, I bought the already dead ones o_O for my Betta =3 Nice and peaceful just floats =]
I am also an avid fisherman and beleieve me what we give to our fish are not bloodworms but a form of larvae. real bloodworms are 4"- almost 24" depending on the species. they dig them up north in maine. if you want an idea of the face / fangs think of tremors ! they have 4 "tusks that can be retracted or pentrated. doesnt feel nice either :ROFL: .

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
ercnan;1297047; said:
Me ? Nope, not at all.
In fact, a couple days ago, I saw "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe, and he was actually digging them up somewhere on a farm.
Some of them looked a foot long, and he let some of them bite him.
Said it felt like a really painful bee sting.

I've searched "bloodworms" in the past and found the things we use as fish food are not actual bloodworms.

"Bloodworms" can mean salt water predaceous annelilids that can 12" long, or it can mean the little reddish segmented midge larvae sold as fish food, these are harmless.

Frommel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
The Netherlands
The so called "bloodworms" you feed your fish are mosquito larvea. They have a bright red colour adn are about 1/2 inch long. They are aquatic so they will survive in your tank. But they can't harm your fish.

If you put a bucket of water outside in the summer and leave it a couple of days, it will be filled with mosquito larvea. The only danger there is, is they become a mosquito and sting you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store