Blue acara and Elec Blue acara pics please

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
I am setting up a 55 with intentions of keeping EBA's, would I be better with a mix of regular blue acaras and EBA's? Also, what tankmates, if any would be good to keep with them? I had in mind a group of 4-6 acaras. Maybe convicts, rainbows, or a geophagus in with them.

I will be using black sand, are acaras diggers? Sorry for so many questions, but you have experience with them.

jag14

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
knoxville tn
I am setting up a 55 with intentions of keeping EBA's, would I be better with a mix of regular blue acaras and EBA's? Also, what tankmates, if any would be good to keep with them? I had in mind a group of 4-6 acaras. Maybe convicts, rainbows, or a geophagus in with them.

I will be using black sand, are acaras diggers? Sorry for so many questions, but you have experience with them.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
hey - a few of us with blue acaras on this post so hopefully they will chip in too - acaras are a good medium size, medium aggression cichlid, with the EBAs a bit smaller .. I like to have both but it's really down to personal taste .. you might have a little less aggression problems with just EBA .. convicts in my opinion .. esp if in a pair are a bit aggressive and similar size will intensify aggression .. how about firemouths .. geos might work if not to delicate and possibly larger than the acaras .. rainbow cichlid or fish ..both should be fine .. a really wide choice of fish .. nothing as small as a neon or too aggressive .. having said that mine are in with a young green terror - but that's only temporary ..plenty of separate caves so if they pair they can have their own areas .. not too demanding on water parameters .. they def like to dig so black sand should be great - some slate caves or pots if you want them to breed .. they will sort out there own pecking order eventually so a group of 4+ or a pair would work best .. really nice fish though - enjoying keeping them a lot

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
I know a lot of people will tutt at this but I have a few aulonocara in with them and it works perfectly .. they're not aggressive in the least to each other .. not for the biotope purists but actually works very well

Reactions: tlindsey

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Blue acara fry .. day 9 :) almost ready to move to the bigger tank .. java moss and microworm culture .. eventually on to bloodworm and adult brine shrimp .. then pellet

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey and MrsE88

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know a lot of people will tutt at this but I have a few aulonocara in with them and it works perfectly .. they're not aggressive in the least to each other .. not for the biotope purists but actually works very well

My EBA pair sharing aquarium with a few P.Kribs

1492547466901-1089768268.jpg

Reactions: Tomt37

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
My EBA pair sharing aquarium with a few P.Kribs

Perfect pair! .. I'm putting in the waterchange work to make sure my fry get that kind of condition .. ive had more mouthfuls of fish water than I'd like to think about :(

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store