Blue acara temperament.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well I'm hoping not. If so I know people who'd be able to take the fish

Well speak of the pike man, if they were ever available here I'd consider them too :)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
He will. Mine was picky at 1st. I was worried. I found he liked flake food (and worms. Loved blackworms but they are too much money. So i supplemented with small worms. I only gave him a worm 1x per week or so)

Then one day he began to eat some of the floating stick food that i feed my arowana. I think it helps to have other fish to show picky eating fish what to eat.

I dont starlve any of my fish to make em eat specific foods. They have all eventually switched. The only one left is my one ray. I thing when she goes in the comm tank she will learn to eat pellets from the other rays.
yes i had to go ahead and start a worm farm in the interest of Mr. B (my acara) because he loves them so much. $40 for 2500 redworms on amazon vs. $6 for 2 dozen made the finances work out a lot better.

i wont starve them now as my fish are still young and growing but when they are full grown i plan to take more extreme measures. i have two big bags of hikari gold that none of my fish will touch because theyre too spoiled. little brats

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead

Are your fish with any other fish that eat pellets?

Today was the first day that my blue acara actually ate some sinking pellets. So within the last two weeks or three weeks he began to eat floating stick pellets and now sinking pellets. I have owned him for three or four months.

I think he learned it from my Arowana cause he eat everything.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good stuff, feeding time is always busy and I have a mix of foods to ensure that everyone gets their fill

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead

Are your fish with any other fish that eat pellets?

Today was the first day that my blue acara actually ate some sinking pellets. So within the last two weeks or three weeks he began to eat floating stick pellets and now sinking pellets. I have owned him for three or four months.

I think he learned it from my Arowana cause he eat everything.
yes an oscar, severum, flowerhorn and red devil that eat pellets. the problem is i feed them all worms once a day and frozen shrimp or bloodworms in the morning, then put the pellets in at night so the pictus can get some. so he eats his worms and bloodworms and shrimp but wont be hungry enough for the pellets. hes happy and beautiful though so im in no rush to change things up.

Travis_Bickle

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2015
Uk
I've kept a number of Salvini's, Normal blue Acara and EBA over the years. Only really had problems twice, a small Salvini that proceeded to tear up the fins of any similar sized cichlid that was introduced to the tank after it, and an EBA that appeared to be quite calm but if you watched closely was a vicious little thing that randomly bit tankmates that were not watching. I introduced a school of 6 rainbowfish with this EBA and it picked them off one after the other over about 2 weeks. They were quite big as well. Generally though all 3 of the types above are OK, Salvini usually not as bad as they're made out to be, they actually hide out of the way most of the time, its really down to individual fish. None of them usually get anything close to the maximum size quoted either, they normally all get to 4 - 4.5" in the main.

Reactions: tlindsey

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Ive owned a quite a few blue acara over the years. Pretty much harmless if kept singular. The one stand out thing i remember about them is how aggressive the males were tward one another. Once mature, the males would non stop fight till seperated. Wether there were females present or not. Other then that, they are one of the most peaceful cichlids i have ever owned

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store