Blue lobster vs. Filter. Odds on survival?

danman7412

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2018
I recently (5 days ago) added a blue lobster, approx size 2 inches, to my cichlid based aquarium. My Jack Demsey somehow managed to knock of the skimmer of the filter tube and somehow the lobster got inside. Its a high powered filter, so I am assuming the suction aided in his entrapment....

Initially, I thought the cichlids ate the lobster when I noticed he disappeared. 2 days later I woke to find my tank very cloudy. I instantly went to clean the filters and tank. Upon removing the tube, the lobster fell out. Unfortunately, he lost both claws and a hind leg.

Prior to this incident the lobster was extremely active and now just sits in the corner of the tank. He has not moved for a few days now. He seems to be eating as the food I drop to him disappears and the cichlids do not disturb the lobster. I have also noticed position changes and redness on his sides that were not there before.

I can not find valuable information on the blue lobster. I know not to remove the molted shell as the lobster will eat and I know the right diet for health and growth. What I don't know is... Will he survive the filter mishap? Will his claws grow back? Will loosing the claws trigger a molt? Should I move the lobster to a solitude tank? The filter did not kill the lobster, I feel I should give the lobster the best odds possible.

Thanks for the help.
=D
He will grow the claws back and molt again so dont worry just clean the tank but not too much and then put him in a 20 gallon tank by itself

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Why do fish shops display them with tanks full of cichlids if they shouldnt be in the tank with them. In fact, why did the shop zoologist make it seem like my cichlids were in danager of the lobster?
For the same reason they sell red tail catfish, knife fish, and oscars to people with 10G tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store