Blue Spot Stingray

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There are only a few people I know that have had any success with keeping blue-spots for any length of time. Basically, these rays require a long established well-balanced tank from the start. Lots of well-cultured live rock is needed along with sandy flat spots. They also have a low tolerance for any free-floating bacteria in the water. So, micron-level water polishing and UV sterilization are a must. I tried them once. Lost 2 of 6 and had to sell the other 4 due to a military transfer. I may try them again using techniques that have brought others success. Still no spawnings in aquaria. I wouldn't mind being the first.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

nbku3vm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
arizona
that would make sense. I have heard very few successes. I like the idea of a UV sterilizer on the system sound great. What are some other ways that one can keep the non beneficial bacteria down.

UnderwaterGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
another necessity for blue spotted rays are high pH levels. As in around 8.1. I am hopefully going to be setting up a blue spotted ray tank at the aquarium i work at. So far my boss is telling me no due to past unsuccessfulness. I plan on doing a ton of research and presenting my findings to him and giving him reasons to let me set it up. So, if anyone has any info for me or places i can get more info, that would be great.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Oddball;697385; said:
There are only a few people I know that have had any success with keeping blue-spots for any length of time. Basically, these rays require a long established well-balanced tank from the start. Lots of well-cultured live rock is needed along with sandy flat spots. They also have a low tolerance for any free-floating bacteria in the water. So, micron-level water polishing and UV sterilization are a must. I tried them once. Lost 2 of 6 and had to sell the other 4 due to a military transfer. I may try them again using techniques that have brought others success. Still no spawnings in aquaria. I wouldn't mind being the first.
could go with a ozonizer as well

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
Oddball;697385; said:
Maybe I should try a pair in the Xenia holding pond tons of room under the racks for them

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Blue spots don't really take to O3 that well. UV has worked the best for me in the past, along with about twice the normal prot. skimmer volume as a normal reed would take. Water Q must be PERFECT and in a well established tank (like mentioned). I had the most luck with pH of higher than 8.4 - using Ca drips and a reactor to keep it that high (which is tricky, because anything about like 500 parts seemed to have a negative effect as well).
They are all wild caught, so getting them to feed can be tricky as well. All that I have kept started off on things like blood worms and squid tenticals - then transitioned to other foods from there.
I won't claim to have any success with them. The longest I kept one was for a year. And I will tell you that was on pure dumb luck in a well built 1,500 gallon set up that had been established for over 8 years.

Elasmofreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Michigan
First off they should not be kept in a tank... extremely large tank, or large pond only if kept... A friend and myself tried to breed them... very difficult to keep alive... at one point we had 2 males and 1 felmale all hand feeding doing AWESOME! then all of a sudden they stopped eating after 6 months and died. no reason... i wouldnt even attempt keeping one again unless i spent a small fortune on its setup. we stopped trying after those three died... we went though about 8 of them total... longest i kept one was for 1 yr 6 months... stopped eating for no reason... (at that time i never heard of anyone keeping one for longer than 1 year). however scott michael showed me a video of a guy who had one for 2 years and still going strong, at a MASM conference last year. i would stick with yellow rays or other easier rays, more adaptable to aquarium life. just my opinion. At $50 a pop they get rather expensive... regardless they are a beautiful and awesome ray, i cant stop you from buying one, you are your own person. but i believe these are best left on the reef. Shed aquarium tried to breed them as well, and failed. last i knew they had gone though over 40 specimens, and couldnt keep any alive longer than 6 months.
i have u/w video somewhere. i'll have to find it and i will try to send a link.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store