Blue whale catfish growout

Name

• Total voters

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
All the best with this fish. Not one many will have seen or kept so keep up the posts, we are all learning on this one.
I didn’t know how rare it was until recently. He’s almost completely blind and has extremely tiny eyes and the way he swims around the tank at first is similar to if you went to a random house with a blindfold and tried to find the bathroom but since he’s been in the tank he’s figured out the area he has to swim in and when he gets to close to a wall it’s like he just glides from side to side like the way a tv logo bounces off the corners of a screen. I got the powerhead today I don’t know why but it shipped early but I’m not complaining. Came in a bunch of pieces and I’m not too good at following instruction manuals so it’ll take me a while. I’ll update you all when I get the powerhead assembled and running in the water.

Reactions: Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I got the powerhead running but it’s not as much as I thought. The catfish is still sticking to the glass but now moving his tail A LOT FASTER. I currently have it placed at the top middle side of the tank. Should I place it somewhere else like at the bottom? Also he almost got a hold of my arm but he missed thankfully

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Bites?
In the middle would give the most flow across the whole tank. Up high would be good at creating dead zones in case he wants to rest (do these guys rest?).
Does he have whiskers to aid in navigation or is it all blind movement?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Bites?
In the middle would give the most flow across the whole tank. Up high would be good at creating dead zones in case he wants to rest (do these guys rest?).
Does he have whiskers to aid in navigation or is it all blind movement?
What do you mean by bites? He has tiny whiskers that look like a small beard like how mine is. When you’re a teenager and just growing facial hair but on the fish there’s 2 tiny whiskers that are a bit bigger than the other 2 super tiny ones between the two bigger ones. And yes these guys rest. Mine will sit at the bottom of the tank and for about 5 seconds stays really still breathes slowly and tilts to one side then he corrects himself swims around and a little bit later he does the same thing. In the wild the probably wedge themselves between rocks or in the mud to rest and not get thrown around. Should I place the powerhead on the back glass panel in the middle?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I got the powerhead running but it’s not as much as I thought. The catfish is still sticking to the glass but now moving his tail A LOT FASTER. I currently have it placed at the top middle side of the tank. Should I place it somewhere else like at the bottom? Also he almost got a hold of my arm but he missed thankfully
that’s why I said to get the higher flow one. It should be near the top of the waterline so the venturi valve provides more oxygen than if it were closer to the substrate. The flow should go through the length of the tank so stick it on either the left or right side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store