Boneless frozen tilapia filet's safe to feed?

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
ozz465;3388541; said:
Also forgot to add that there are fillets in individual packaging that are irradiated to kill off bacteria and such.
Yeah the kind I got was at sams club and frozen each filet was individually vacuum packed kind of cool. My Bichirs go nuts for it and it helped fatten up my endli's and put some size on the delhezi. :headbang2:headbang2

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Almost every carnivorous fish will devour raw tilapia. Tastes good, lots of protein and other nutrients, and affordable.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
both from africa it should be a foodchain then

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
they're fine. just make sure they are not seasoned. I wouldn't eat them myself cuz i find tilapia to be flavorless ( i like the real bold fish flavors)

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
I have some frozen raw tilapia fillets. Ingredients say tilapia first and then salt, that's it. Is this ok to feed my bichirs?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have some frozen raw tilapia fillets. Ingredients say tilapia first and then salt, that's it. Is this ok to feed my bichirs?
If you are concerned about the salt give the fillet a rinse or a soak in a dish of water before giving it to your bichirs.

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
If you are concerned about the salt give the fillet a rinse or a soak in a dish of water before giving it to your bichirs.
Ok cool. What I do typically is cut a small piece off of the frozen fillet and then thaw it out for 10 minutes in a small container of water taken from the fish tank. So I'm thinking I might be doing things correctly.
My last bichir died sort of suddenly and now I'm all paranoid about my new ones...so I appreciate the help!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ok cool. What I do typically is cut a small piece off of the frozen fillet and then thaw it out for 10 minutes in a small container of water taken from the fish tank. So I'm thinking I might be doing things correctly.
My last bichir died sort of suddenly and now I'm all paranoid about my new ones...so I appreciate the help!
Sorry to hear about the bichir that passed....Your method sounds pretty good, the tilapia that I use come in a big bag but are all individually sealed in their own plastic pouches so I will remove one or two that will last through the week,keep them in the refigerator and slice from them as needed.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry to hear about the bichir that passed....Your method sounds pretty good, the tilapia that I use come in a big bag but are all individually sealed in their own plastic pouches so I will remove one or two that will last through the week,keep them in the refigerator and slice from them as needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store