bowfin

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
what would be a good price for some.

i can get them from 6" to 14" what should a good price for them be?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
in my area, you can easily find one in an asain food store for cheap!! LOLs

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
in my area i can catch them daily. i am just checking to see what they go for at these sizes. i may just happen to find myself with a surplus of bowfins in the 6-14" range. if that were the case i may be obligated to share the wealth with the great people of mfk.

farawayinn

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
cedar key, fl
www.farawayinn.com
Maybe $50 to $60 for the large, $35 med, $25 small? Plus shipping of course. Remember to quarrantine for about 10 days to 2 weeks and use praziquantel or similar for parasites like worms and fish lice. Since bowfin need to breathe surface air periodically kordon breather bags may not be the best for shipping, although others may have different experience on this. I may be interested in a large (12" plus size) specimen if the price is right.
Oliver

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Remember, its probably not legal to sell any fish that you catch in the wild. I like the idea though. I need to catch a small one for a tank. Always wanted one

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
Like fobrinkle said, it's usually not legal to sell wild native fish without a commercial license. Depending what state you're in, check the laws. Enforcement does watch these kinds of sites... I just talked to an attorney at my state's DOJ that spends the first 1.5 hrs of his work day combing through eBay for broken state laws.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Maybe $50 to $60 for the large, $35 med, $25 small? Plus shipping of course. Remember to quarrantine for about 10 days to 2 weeks and use praziquantel or similar for parasites like worms and fish lice. Since bowfin need to breathe surface air periodically kordon breather bags may not be the best for shipping, although others may have different experience on this. I may be interested in a large (12" plus size) specimen if the price is right.
Oliver
i will be qt and treating them. i have 3 at the 13" mark and several at the 6-8" mark.

Like fobrinkle said, it's usually not legal to sell wild native fish without a commercial license. Depending what state you're in, check the laws. Enforcement does watch these kinds of sites... I just talked to an attorney at my state's DOJ that spends the first 1.5 hrs of his work day combing through eBay for broken state laws.
these are a rough fish witch there are little to no regs. for. i have been talking to the dnr and they don't really have an answer for me as this isn't a big money type production. i have been talking about gar and bowfin collection for the aquarium trade with them. most "rough fish" (as they are termed) are considered minnows below 7-8". i get bowfins in with my minnows on occation, they are not defined as minnows, but are defined as rough fish or under-utilized fish. here is a copy of my states regulation on rough fish and the deffinition of rough fish.

mndnr 2011 regulations

Rough fish are defined as carp, buffalo, sucker, redhorse,
sheepshead, bowfin, burbot (eelpout), cisco (tullibee), gar, mooneye, and bullhead.

• Licensed anglers and children under 16 may take rough fish by
spearing, harpooning, archery, and hand-held dip nets on all inland
waters, except where taking fish is prohibited. All rough fish, except
cisco (tullibee), may be bought and sold.

now all that aside, i said i can catch them. i didn't say these were caught. these were from my friends pond that he has. they are "wild" living in his pond without being fed by him. they got into his pond by a river flooding and now they are there. i help him by taking them and he helps me get them. i have been getting them for myself and now i have an overpopulation in my tank so i need to thin the stock. since i will not release an aquarium fish into the wild(as it is illegal) i must sell them.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
from the looks of things my largest fish are females and some that are close behind are males. most of the 100% males with great patterns and colors are around 8-9". after they calm down some i will post a video of them.

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
these are a rough fish witch there are little to no regs. for
Well, that's one difference between Minnesota and Louisiana... We have a 16" minimum on bowfin, they have to be taken with legal recreational gear, are often eaten, and can't be sold with a rec. license.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store