Brachyplatystoma juruense?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Fine, fine... Moe "The Video-capped" I was only rattling your cage, not cornering you (yet) :D We know your video woes :)

herman moorr herman moorr can't promise when but I will film my guys. Let's hope while they are still alive.

Never trust catfish.
Viktor likes catfish.
Never trust Viktor.

Meanwhile, this is about your jurs. How are they doing? It's unusual that the color went from black to almost white. Was it the settling?

Reactions: moe214

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Fine, fine... Moe "The Video-capped" I was only rattling your cage, not cornering you (yet) :D We know your video woes :)

herman moorr herman moorr can't promise when but I will film my guys. Let's hope while they are still alive.

Never trust catfish.
Viktor likes catfish.
Never trust Viktor.

Meanwhile, this is about your jurs. How are they doing? It's unusual that the color went from black to almost white. Was it the settling?
He doing well right now just want him to get a little more size on him. He was white the first day I got him but turned solid black after a day. And is still black. Good thing is he's eating very well so that's a plus. Likes to hang directly near surface I'm guessing because off canister output.

IMG_1296.JPG

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting color. I wonder when it would start developing stripes, what not.

2-3 out of 9 of mine do this just under the surface skimming too. I've not figured out why these and not others. They are the smaller ones and it's a factor (they are often chased off the bottom by bigger jurs) but 240 gal is big and I think this is not the only factor... it's as if they like the current and the swimming more while others like the tripod perching more.

Reactions: herman moorr

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014

2-3 out of 9 of mine do this just under the surface skimming too. I've not figured out why these and not others. They are the smaller ones and it's a factor (they are often chased off the bottom by bigger jurs) but 240 gal is big and I think this is not the only factor... it's as if they like the current and the swimming more while others like the tripod perching more.
I for one am a firm believer in each individual having their own personality, along with that comes preferences

Reactions: herman moorr

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016

Ive notice the my larger sits in the tripod position and doesn't swim against the glass like this new one. I've noticed today that some faint strips coming in on the little guy

IMG_1338.JPG

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
I for one am a firm believer in each individual having their own personality, along with that comes preferences
Couldn't agree more this little one actually ate bloodworms out my hand tonight. Never had this species do that. Usually have to drop food near head to get them to eat.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That's cool at that size lol wouldn't expect a juice to be so brave

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Herman, is that last photo of the OP fish or the other larger jur? It too looks unusual.

I doubt it is courage. Jurs appear rather clueless fish with eyes mostly for decorative purposes. Their self-awareness and owner-awareness appears pretty primitive. Tank mate awareness largely too except when it comes to other jurs and Brachies or "swallowable" fish.

My smallest almost never comes down to the bottom so I too hand feed it fish cuts right at the surface. Half the time it takes it right from fingers, other times I have to let the food go very near the fish. Others get their food more or less fine. There is already a big disparity in how much they feed and grow. The biggest is probably around 5" and thick, the smallest is probably 3"-3.5" and slender while I got them all at around 2"-2.5" about a month ago.

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Herman, is that last photo of the OP fish or the other larger jur? It too looks unusual.

I doubt it is courage. Jurs appear rather clueless fish with eyes mostly for decorative purposes. Their self-awareness and owner-awareness appears pretty primitive. Tank mate awareness largely too except when it comes to other jurs and Brachies or "swallowable" fish.

My smallest almost never comes down to the bottom so I too hand feed it fish cuts right at the surface. Half the time it takes it right from fingers, other times I have to let the food go very near the fish. Others get their food more or less fine. There is already a big disparity in how much they feed and grow. The biggest is probably around 5" and thick, the smallest is probably 3"-3.5" and slender while I got them all at around 2"-2.5" about a month ago.
This makes perfect sense because he's taking directly from fingers and it's the same small juru he's starting to get some size a little. I believe his strips are coming in very faintly. This pic is my larger one when he was around 8 and a baby comparison of him.

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store