Brachyplatystoma Vaillantii W/ Peacock Bass/Datnoids

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Would a "Lau Lau" have any issues with living in a 9x4 tank of Peacock Bass and Datnoids until it grows to around 2' and I move it to the pond Im building? The catfish will be about 5.5" when it arrives and the Bass are all around 7" and Datnoids are 6".

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: Blakewater

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd not expect any specific problems, except the usual - if a tank mate might fit into the vaillantii's mouth, it is a risk. Of course, the old wisdom that every tank differs and our hobby is a gamble always applies too.

I have had the three mentioned fish kinds in a 4500 gal for a few years but along with many other tank mates.

If my vaillantii experience is of any guidance, you may have many years before it reaches 2', if ever. Mine came from Wes (Suriname) and has been 18"-20" seems for the last 2+ years, not showing any signs of growing while feeding with vigor.

Are you getting Numbnuts' fish? If so, it'd be cool for us to continue learning about this specimen.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I'd not expect any specific problems, except the usual - if a tank mate might fit into the vaillantii's mouth, it is a risk. Of course, the old wisdom that every tank differs and our hobby is a gamble always applies too.

I have had the three mentioned fish kinds in a 4500 gal for a few years but along with many other tank mates.

If my vaillantii experience is of any guidance, you may have many years before it reaches 2', if ever. Mine came from Wes (Suriname) and has been 18"-20" seems for the last 2+ years, not showing any signs of growing while feeding with vigor.

Are you getting Numbnuts' fish? If so, it'd be cool for us to continue learning about this specimen.
Interesting, I was expecting them to grow similar to Acharas considering their family. But slow growth is fine for me as well. Im actually not getting Numbnuts' fish, its just coming in from a small time importer and Ive loved the fish for a while but wanted to get a smaller one and grow it out. It was either this or a Juruense Catfish!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You'd need to consider only the Brachyplatystoma genus, not the entire Pimelodidae family. No species in that genus grow particularly quickly relative to their final size.

The mentioned achara is one of the champion fast growers, on par with RTC and TSN.

Anyhow, I'd not make any conclusions based on one specimen, that is mine.

Reactions: Blakewater

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
You'd need to consider only the Brachyplatystoma genus, not the entire Pimelodidae family. No species in that genus grow particularly quickly relative to their final size.

The mentioned achara is one of the champion fast growers, on par with RTC and TSN.

Anyhow, I'd not make any conclusions based on one specimen, that is mine.
Well it'll be even more amazing to grow out then :naughty:

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Strange you say about growth victor. Mines also from Suriname. 12” to 17” within less then a year. I find mine to be quite aggressive Aswell.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Strange you say about growth victor. Mines also from Suriname. 12” to 17” within less then a year. I find mine to be quite aggressive Aswell.
Ive also heard they are slow growers. Ive got one from suriname to im picking up next week. About 20cm atm. Heard they grow about 10cm per year.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ive also heard they are slow growers. Ive got one from suriname to im picking up next week. About 20cm atm. Heard they grow about 10cm per year.
I’ve heard myself there bits amazingly fast. I only know of one large on I’m captivity around 3feet. That’s about 8 years old if I remember rightly. My experience is mine grown quite fast, I’m guessing it will slow
Right down now.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I’ve heard myself there bits amazingly fast. I only know of one large on I’m captivity around 3feet. That’s about 8 years old if I remember rightly. My experience is mine grown quite fast, I’m guessing it will slow
Right down now.
Im hoping mine will at least hit around 12" within a year with some good care and top notch food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store