Brackish frogfish help

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
So my brackish water frogfish has developed a weird lump under his mouth (throat area) a week or so ago and I was think it’s a goiter, though I’m not sure. Thankfully it doesn’t seem stressed, though I’m a bit worried. I will admit its diet hasn’t been great as I haven’t been able to stop and get better live food, so it’s been on rosy red minnows for the past couple weeks. Right now it’s only eating live and I usually try to feed a mix of livebears, ghost shrimp and other live food (I’m trying to start breeding some live food from home for it). Salinity is 1.003-1.005 with reef salt. Nitrate was 20, but I have to retest as it’s been a bit since the last testF187E5E0-F35F-4E8D-A6CB-0EB11FB76DEA.jpeg

please advise

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my brackish water frogfish has developed a weird lump under his mouth (throat area) a week or so ago and I was think it’s a goiter, though I’m not sure. Thankfully it doesn’t seem stressed, though I’m a bit worried. I will admit its diet hasn’t been great as I haven’t been able to stop and get better live food, so it’s been on rosy red minnows for the past couple weeks. Right now it’s only eating live and I usually try to feed a mix of livebears, ghost shrimp and other live food (I’m trying to start breeding some live food from home for it). Salinity is 1.003-1.005 with reef salt. Nitrate was 20, but I have to retest as it’s been a bit since the last testView attachment 1501189

please advise
Tbh don't have a clue what the lump could be. If the Frogfish is acting normal then just keep observing it. I agree with you on raising your feeders.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That thing has a goiter?

How can you tell???

That's a very cool fish, and I wonder how important the level of salinity at which its kept might be with respect to this problem. You're right, Rosy Reds certainly aren't a great diet by themselves, but I think it would take more than just a couple weeks to develop into a problem.

I suspect an anglerfish might be a prime candidate for target feeding with frozen krill, shrimp, etc. simply by dangling the food item in front of the fish using forceps or tongs. Foods like that make it easy to also use VitaChem or similar supplements.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
Tbh don't have a clue what the lump could be. If the Frogfish is acting normal then just keep observing it. I agree with you on raising your feeders.
What would you recommend for feeders? I’m currently planning on some platys and possibly some shrimp if I can get the culture started. I want to try to give as much diversity as possible

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Everybody always heads straight for livebearers when they want to raise feeders; another very practical species to raise for this purpose is one of the smaller, more prolific cichlids like convicts. Whichever way you go, get that fish onto dead food, so that you can raise the feeders to the size you want and then freeze them for later use.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
That thing has a goiter?

How can you tell???

That's a very cool fish, and I wonder how important the level of salinity at which its kept might be with respect to this problem. You're right, Rosy Reds certainly aren't a great diet by themselves, but I think it would take more than just a couple weeks to develop into a problem.

I suspect an anglerfish might be a prime candidate for target feeding with frozen krill, shrimp, etc. simply by dangling the food item in front of the fish using forceps or tongs. Foods like that make it easy to also use VitaChem or similar supplements.
I think this lump is a goiter but I honestly don’t know for sure as I haven’t dealt with one before and have only seen pictures of them. Hopefully I’ll be able to target train it soon, though right now there is a juvenile snook, 3 silver tip sharks and a “freshwater lionfish” toadfish in the tank, though they will all be moved out once I can figure out and cure whatever is killing everything in the tank they are supposed to go into
8A0C9C37-852E-41D0-8804-E6A9E4E00038.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Great suggestion.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Any chance that something got lodged in its throat?

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
Everybody always heads straight for livebearers when they want to raise feeders; another very practical species to raise for this purpose is one of the smaller, more prolific cichlids like convicts. Whichever way you go, get that fish onto dead food, so that you can raise the feeders to the size you want and then freeze them for later use.
Ill Try breeding both platys and convicts. I tried convicts but every time I bought one thinking it was male (no orange on chest) it turned out to be female (as the orange would then develop) and so I was stuck with a bunch of females. Platys are the only livebearer that I’ve had that I’ve been able to get breeding that wasn’t a goodeid or a limia. For some reason guppies always die and mollies either come in sick or just never decide to breed for me.

would paradise gourami work? I have some breeding outdoors and plan on breeding a couple other sp. too for sale, but could probably use some as feeders too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store