Breaking ngt to shrimp

andwho

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Hey guys, my ngt is very shy and only eats live. What kinds of methods have you guys used other than starvation that helped in converting your dat to frozen or pellets. Thanks in advanced!

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
IME, it's a simple training process. If it only eats live feeders, then feed dead feeders until it gets used to eating food that isn't alive. Step 2, take the dead food, marinate it with pellets. It will eat the dead food but accidentally pick up and spit out the pellets. You increase the ratio of pellets in your mix, so it won't starve and get too thin, will will be stay hungry. Eventually, through days or weeks of effort, it will swallow the pellets in the mix. Then you just feed pellets! My old NGT was only 4", but would only eat frozen bloodworms. So I marinated bloodworms with pellets, it worked after a few weeks. Just don't starve it, IMO. It also learns from other fish that are eating pellets. Good luck!

Ivann Kyla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2015
Philippines
I usually introduce live shrimp to NGTs that only eat feeders until it gets used to eating shrimp...the movement of the shrimp drives the curiosity out of the NGT until it smacks the shrimp...then when i see that it regularly feeds on live shrimp, i subsitute it with nonlive ones...

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
1. using teacher fish. 2. tie a piece of fishing line to the piece of shrimp and literally go fishing in ur tank. Thats how I taught my VATF to eat shrimp/pellets

Reactions: McPhish and ATF
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store