Breeding Afra

JT11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2007
IOWA
How difficult is it to breed afra? I am thinking about purchasing a wild pair and attempting to breed them. Also woud a ten gallon be appropriate to breed them in ? Is there anything I can do water wise to up my chances via, raise temp, up ph which is already 8.3, light cycles ?? any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh sh*t almost forgot they are Jalo Reef if it matters:D

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
First, afras are not pair fish (in essence all the fish we think of from malawi are 1 male to say 3-4 females). The male will likely kill likely huras the female to death.

I honestly wouldn't try breeding in anything less than a 55 or 40 long.

Put in lots of rocks leave the temp ~79 degrees. Water parameters really don't mater as long as ph ~7.8. If you have really soft water use the premixed salts/malawi mixes (not required just increases chances, not like you will need it with a male and 3 females.)

That would be all you need.

I am not saying that it can't be done in a 10. I have seen people breed angles in 5 gallons so there is never a set rule. But the fish will be much happier in a larger tank. OH and lots of rock work is a must. Make sure the females can hide from the male.

Anyways these guys will breed like mad if they are happy, but don't be surprised if your fist couple of batches aren't held through all the way.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Which Afra are you able to buy? I have a couple and the only ones that have been sucessful is the Afra "Lion's cove". These I breed with a male and a female in a tank with other mbuna.
Just had a female deliver me some fry a couple of days ago.
:naughty: :ROFL: :headbang2 :nilly:

why_spyder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Sioux City, IA
www.cynotilapia.info
Cyno's can be bred in 20's (if you are experienced). I would suggest against only a pair. I've had to wait up to 8 months for a wild pair to spawn. I, too, would like to know what you are thinking of getting.

I "specialize" in Cynotilapia and have had some experience breeding them. They aren't any harder than other mbuna in my opinion. They are great tank fillers too.

JT11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2007
IOWA
Thank you for all your input guys! He is selling them as Cynotilapia afra Jalo Reef. I think what I will wind up doing is putting maybe like a 2.4 ratio in a 55 gallon. I plan to put a ton of rock in the tank and hopefully will get some results. Any tips or other suggestions welcome!

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
The biggest problem is having a camera ready when the male decides to show his colour. Have yet to see a picture that is a true reflection of the actuall fish. Will do my best to get a good shot for posting.
Just lost a Cyn. Mbamba mphanga. He is the one with a golden yellow top. Lost both male and female and I don't know why.:cry: :cry: :confused: :cry:
:grinno: :ROFL: :headbang2 :nilly:

kscichlidfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
kansas
Good luck on your breeding, we need more of these types to become the "standard" rather than what is out there now.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
The more something becomes avalible the less people seem to think that it is cool or good... I would love to have a few of these guys, but do not say the more common africans are not worthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store