Breeding Buttikoferi!!!

jmatthewvan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
Mukilteo,WA
I have a breeding pair of Buttis and they are destroying my 200gal tank and making all my other cichlids life hell including,a bigger male midas,breeding Doviis and a male red terror.The female turned on the male now and has half the tank to herself.Meanest fish I've ever owned!!

RedH2O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Saskatchewan
Buttis(breeding),Midas,Dovii(breeding) and Red Terror in a 200gal fish tank spells disaster. I suggest you keep either the pair of dovii or the pair of buttis which you like the most keep. I would personally keep the dovii pair, they are beautys when larger. If you like both another tank is needed 125 or larger for the buttis, how large are these fish?

JohnG1122

Feeder Fish
Aug 21, 2009
New York
Personally i love buttis but they can be a living hell at times they destroyed my 55g when i had them. But good luck hopefully it will be successful

crash83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Houston,Tx
i breed mine in a 300 gallon tube i kept each fish in a 40 breeder facing each other and wj=hen they were ready i threw them in the 300 let them spawn the pull the male out right away.your female will eventualy kill your male.

jmatthewvan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
Mukilteo,WA
Alot of people may think that this wouldn't work but they're still in the tank together with no ripped fins or damage of any sort,they squabble alot but nothing too bad.The Butti calmed down and the male and female take a huge cave on one side of the tank while the Doviis take a cave on the other,the Midas is just an open swimmer and they all look amazing,they eat together and everything! Im not an idiot though,im enjoying it while it last...

jmatthewvan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
Mukilteo,WA
Cichlidlove4all;3472293; said:
its still pretty much a ticking time bomb :\ can you separate them in different tanks?
Totally agree,and yeah,i've been looking on craigslist for deals on something like a 125

blackghostuk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
UK
Hi guys. I had a wild caught pair of butties a few years ago. Male battered female in shop (small tank) so seperated. I bought them and put them in a 6x2x2 on their own. Male battered female (not badly). I gave them a pipe that female could get in and male couldnt.

Next day they were totally peaceful. Seems like he knew she could get away and so he never harmed her again. All I had in tank was gravel and that pipe. About a week later they spawned. They spawned about 5 or 6 times while I had them, and every time I left the young in with them til they were about 2-3 inches.

In all the time I had them they never showed any aggression towards each other, or the young, or me, apart from that first day. Completely placid and friendly - not even any aggression before breeding or while guarding. None whatsoever. If I went in while they were guarding they would approach me slowly and gently mouth my arm or hand, just going thru the motions. Whenever I fed them they would come and eat from my hand if I wanted them to. They were the most amazing fish I have ever kept in 37 years. I have had single butties since and most have been killers.

They are easy to sex, by the way, especially if you have a few. Males have larger, wider mouths and a steeper forehead. They have a 'ski jump' kind of forehead. This is obvious from about 3".

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. JMATTHEWVAN your pair are absolutely beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store