Breeding feeder fish

Chris86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2020
I heard you can maximize fry with convict cichlids if you suck the fry up with a hose from the breeding cave, everytime . And let the fry grow in another tank.
So the parents start a new clutch very soon.
Of course you need more than one tank with this. But gets thousands of small feeders per year from only one pair of fish.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I heard you can maximize fry with convict cichlids if you suck the fry up with a hose from the breeding cave, everytime . And let the fry grow in another tank.
So the parents start a new clutch very soon.
Of course you need more than one tank with this. But gets thousands of small feeders per year from only one pair of fish.
That sounds like a great plan.

Reactions: Chris86

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I have an overflow screen big enough to pass fry through the overflow into the sump. Basically I raise Guppy and Molly fry in a 42g sump, serving my 55g brackish tank. I put up a thread here about breeding them today. I don't want my monsters to live only on feeders. I give them feeders as a supplement, but not over 1/3 of their diet.
I don't know if these are ideal feeders, but my Cichlids and Mooneyfish do not complain as they gulp them down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store