Breeding feeders for Dovii

ViLLyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2017
What would be best to breed feeders for Dovii? If I have two breeding pairs of Dovii can I feed their fry to each other?

ViLLyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2017
Sweet. Do they typically have the same amount of fry as other cichlids, like convicts?

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Depends on their conditioning and size but usually a lot larger broods of 500+. I have had pairs "adopt" other dovii fry. In this case it may be beneficial as this will reduce the number of fry in each aquarium. The larger fry introduced will prey on the younger fry if they survive long enough and the adults will of course eat the newly introduced ones. I do question however why do you have two breeding pairs if you don't want fry?

ViLLyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2017
Never said I didn't want fry. I currently only have one pair. I have six juveniles that I'm figuring out what to do with. May keep a male or a pair so I can feed the other pair.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Will the fry be fed a high quality pellet? unless you're going to be there will not be much nutrition. As a staple I'd feed a pellet with occasional white fish etc. Then when you have fry available use them as a treat but ensure they have been heavily fed or there is little point except for reducing the population.

Reactions: tlindsey

ViLLyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2017
I've read that Dovii are predominantly carnivores. I've been feeding feeder guppies/minnows mostly with frozen beefheart, freeze dried shrimp, cichlids pellets, and cichlid flakes. They eat it all but I prefer to feed live feeders. I figure there aren't any pellets in the wild and that's closest to what they would naturally eat. No?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
lol RD. RD.

ViLLyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2017
Can I get in on the joke? I'm a newb. Lol. Don't not wanna be a newb forever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store