Breeding Festae

cinderellaterra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
Australia
I have recently purchased 4 terrors in the hope of getting a female out of it, they are currently in an 8ft display tank. I really have a liking for this cichlid and would like to have a crack at breeding them. I have a 4ft in the garage and was wondering if anyone who has bred them could chime in on tank size and any other tips.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
u should start with around 6-8+ its easier to end up with a pair
like this. but then again once a pair does form they'll kill or try to
kill everyone else.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
yes when the pair forms and is bonded you will need to either move the pair out
or move everyone else out. full grown male and female pair with breeding in mind
i would suggest a 180 or 240. itll also give the female alone time along with hides
and caves she can hide in or under where the male cant reach other. or the female
might die from breeding stress or get killed by the male.

Reactions: mrrobxc

cinderellaterra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
Australia
yes when the pair forms and is bonded you will need to either move the pair out
or move everyone else out. full grown male and female pair with breeding in mind
i would suggest a 180 or 240. itll also give the female alone time along with hides
and caves she can hide in or under where the male cant reach other. or the female
might die from breeding stress or get killed by the male.
Thanks for the info. Just wondering how long i should leave the fry with the parents before removing them

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
thats up to you. but if you plan to sell em i would take em out soon as possible.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I recommend you use a divider, males tend to get rough with their mates. I always use one. It works well if there is a size difference.
I put a clay pot on the males side and cut a hole in the divider large enough for the female to pass through but not the male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store