Breeding Ghost Shrimp Setup

olga21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
SE Texas
Update: My shrimp are doing good. I have one shrimp that is about 4 days pregnent! I just bought a 2.5 gallon tank to put her in when the babies come. The shrimp are really cool and I find myself looking at them more than my main aquarium. I have read that added a bit of salt is good for breeding. I have not tried this and was looking for some opinions? Thanks and hello Zinq!

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
Personally, I find seperating the pregnant shrimp from the main tank unecessary, but of course you can if you really want to. If the adult shrimp are well fed, they show little interest in eating the floating larvae (from what i've seen at least). I just keep all of my ghosties in one tank. No hassle and it works fairly well.

I don't add salt and breeding occurs without a problem. Fry survival doesn't seem particularly affected either and is mainly depending on whether they get food. I didn't target feed (due to time issues) the most recent larval hatch and I think I lost 95% of them. No big deal though.

Yah shrimp are really interesting to watch, they interact so much with their environment and the other organizms in it. Glad to hear an update from you Olga!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store