Breeding Mealworms

titanium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2014
India
www.petschennai.com
Hi Friends,

I need suggestions from you all. I would like to breed mealworms for my fish. How to breed mealworms and how to save it from red ants. Because last time red ants are spoil my entire mealworms culture. So how to save it and what is the suitable temperature for mealworms breeding. please advice.

Wonder Worm Woman

Feeder Fish
Jul 15, 2017
Florida, USA
I haven't had this issue with my worms, but have seen it suggested that giving the colony some height and putting the entire thing in a larger container with water restricts the ants' access, something like a moat around a castle. Different ants might require different tactics.

Ideal temp is around 80 degrees F, but will grow slowly at lower temperatures. Relative humidity is important, with ideal being around 70%, especially as worms mature and pupate. Low humidity seems to be a factor in deformed beetles. :)

This is my first post on this forum. I only have one fish now that eats mealworms, a Blood Parrot Cichlid, but did have several lovely Jack Dempseys that eventually aged out. BSFL were a hit with them!

Good luck!

Reactions: titanium

titanium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2014
India
www.petschennai.com
I haven't had this issue with my worms, but have seen it suggested that giving the colony some height and putting the entire thing in a larger container with water restricts the ants' access, something like a moat around a castle. Different ants might require different tactics.

Ideal temp is around 80 degrees F, but will grow slowly at lower temperatures. Relative humidity is important, with ideal being around 70%, especially as worms mature and pupate. Low humidity seems to be a factor in deformed beetles. :)

This is my first post on this forum. I only have one fish now that eats mealworms, a Blood Parrot Cichlid, but did have several lovely Jack Dempseys that eventually aged out. BSFL were a hit with them!

Good luck!
Thanks for your suggestions. Ill try to safe my new mealworm culture from ants.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
In my experience with breeding mealworms, it's a very long and boring process.
All I did was get some mealworms for my geckos, they turned into beetles, and the beetles bred. I pulled out the tiny baby mealworms and 3-4 months later they were at a size that i could feed my geckos, but there weren't many worms.

Reactions: tlindsey

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Have a tub full of beetles with meal bran, supplement with carrots and insect gut.

Seive the bran every 3 weeks or so and move the beetles into a new container.
Raise up the worms in the bran to feed.

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
In addition to bran alone, it's also a good thing for the worms to have some moisture food such as banana peels. After eating a banana, put the peeling with skin up on top. The worms will devour. Cantaloupe & Honey Dew rinds also work well. Not too much though, just depends on quantity and size of worms in the bin.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
If I understand correctly, your problem is that ants keep getting in your mealworm culture and eating them? I know that people who keep ants as a hobby will apply baby powder or vegetable oil around the edge of the ant enclosure to keep the ants in. You could probably try doing the same thing to keep ants out of your mealworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store