Breeding pterophyllum santa isabel angelfish

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
Hey everyone I recently acquired a pair of pterophyllum sp. red altum collection point amazonas brazil which I'm guessing are the santa isabel angels and was wondering if anyone successfully bred them? I'm looking for tips to trigger a spawn. I have seen f1 of them so I know it has been done. I know it's not gonna be the easiest thing in the world to spawn wild angels but I'm gonna give it a go! Thanks in advance

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1399584372.337146.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1399584380.703475.jpg

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
I watched them for hours in my lfs tank and they looked to pair off.. There was 16 total angels in that tank and these 2 were guarding a piece of driftwood and chasing all the other angels away. They took 1/3 of the tank from chasing away the others so I'm guessing they paired up, but now that I have the pair in my tank.

The 1 that I thought was the female (did some of the chasing away in the other tank) now is chasing the other angel that I thought was the male (aggressively chased all the other angelfish away from the other angelfish and the wood) and ripped it's back fin pretty good. Wonder if this is because 1 is ready to spawn and other isn't? Is the courtship that aggressive and rough sometimes with angels? I use to breed all types of geos and sometimes the female got so aggressive as tore my male geos fins up bad. Any input would be great!

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
To spawn them you'll need soft acidic water, if they are wild. Try adding some dither fish. Try a small school of a larger species of tetras. Something to strengthen the pair bond. Maybe the move from the store messed it up a little. I have a wild pair of dwarf Pike cichlids. The male was really tough no the female. I added some small silver dollars and the male turned his attention to them. Once they mated,I removed the silver dollars from the tank.

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
To spawn them you'll need soft acidic water, if they are wild. Try adding some dither fish. Try a small school of a larger species of tetras. Something to strengthen the pair bond. Maybe the move from the store messed it up a little. I have a wild pair of dwarf Pike cichlids. The male was really tough no the female. I added some small silver dollars and the male turned his attention to them. Once they mated,I removed the silver dollars from the tank.
Ok great, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Healthy looking wilds - good color too. I can already see some of the gold coming in on their fins. With wild fish, it takes them a while to get settled & fully color up in the aquarium. Like 6 months or more. They have to get used to your water, WC schedule, types of food your feeding & seeing people. I think the two you have will be stunners & if I were in your spot, I'd be looking to buy more from that LFS.

Like previously mentioned, sometimes the move from one tank to another can break the pair bond. If the aggression persists, look to add more to your stock to disperse the aggression. Take good care of them, healthy fish will spawn.

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks for the kind words and tips. I would love to add 1 or 2 more but the LFS owner wants to keep the 10 left for himself lol! Hes a fish but as well as a business man, doesn't mix well! But I will try to convince him to sell me more eventually! I know they arnt gonna go anywhere ;)

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
Added a group of bleeding heart tetras and it didn't really do much, one of the angels is chasing and nipping at the other still.. Might have to add 2 more angels :X

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
55 is pretty tight if you decide to add to your #. I tried 5 in a 55 and it didn't work out. I think the added width of a 75 would work fine though. I found wild angels to be much more territorial than domestics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store