Breeding the Fathead minnow (rosy red)

TheBloodyIrish

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2007
Grande Prairie, Canada
I am assuming it is to appeal to people that want to buy them as pets.

meepster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
ewurm;317839; said:
Why is the rosy red bred instead of the Regular form of the fathead?
I think that the mutation is a dominant trait. If it is, then when breeding them, you will get a 3 reds per 1 brown ratio.

It also depends on where and how they breed them. rosy reds might be eaten because they can't camoflauge or the rosy reds might be hardier if crowded in a hatchery.

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Red is recessive. They are bred because they are more obvious to the predator, which is either a fish in a tank or a wild predator of some sort.

teleost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
where I lay my hat
At what temperature did you notice first signs of courtship?

How long did it take for the eggs to hatch?

How long did it take for the fry to accept food and what was your first food choice?

Did you need to perform frequent water changes in the fry/egg tank? If so how much and how often?

Did you use water from the parent tank for water changes?

Did you have many eggs fungus? Did you do anything to protect the eggs from fungus?

Inquiring minds want to know!

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
teleost;1283286; said:
At what temperature did you notice first signs of courtship?
I did not change the temp or anything of that nature. It was room temp, mid 70's. A 16 hour photoperiod did the trick.

How long did it take for the eggs to hatch?
About 3-4 days

How long did it take for the fry to accept food and what was your first food choice?
Once I started seeing them swim around. Crushed flake food and Hikari first bites.

Did you need to perform frequent water changes in the fry/egg tank? If so how much and how often?
I do about 50% water changes on all of my tanks once a week, the same was true for these.

Did you use water from the parent tank for water changes?
The tank I reared them in was the parent tank, I had removed the parents.

Did you have many eggs fungus? Did you do anything to protect the eggs from fungus?
I let the male care for the eggs, I didn't do anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store