Breeding to little?

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Also This should have been posted in the cichlid section perhaps a mod can move it kno4te kno4te Hendre Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It's best to report it, then all the mods can see. ;)
Also This should have been posted in the cichlid section perhaps a mod can move it kno4te kno4te Hendre Hendre

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The names Black convict, or common convict are pet store names simply used because of stripes, or general color tone. In actuality those names signify nothing legitimate about what type the cichlid is.

Its real name is Amatitlania nigrofasciata.
The genus name Amatilania is used because of the lake where they were first “discovered” by Europeans in the late 1800s, lake Amatitlán. They range from Guatemala south into Panama.

There are some different forms though, which may have to do with the location where they are found.
There is Amatitlania kanna found on the Atlantic coast of Panama.
There is Amatitlania siquia found in the Siquia river, also on the Atlantic coast of Panama north of Rama.
There is also Amatitlania coatepeque, from the lake of the same name in El Salvado
These forms are not solely based on color, but locations where found..
But since this cichlid has been in the hobby since around 1930, it has been line bred to form many colors. Calico, pink, white, albino, and there is talk that a Glo-variation will soon be available.

And yes, many Amatitlania breed a a very small size
The name “convict has also been used erroneously to describe some other species Amatitlania but I believe again they are Pet Store names used because people are either too lazy, or unwilling to learn real names.

There is Amatitlania nanoluteus, often called a “yellow convict”.

Amatitlania Honduran Red Point, often called a “blue convict

The female of the above pair was barely over an inch at her 1st spawn
and others like A mynae.

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
The names Black convict, or common convict are pet store names simply used because of stripes, or general color tone. In actuality those names signify nothing legitimate about what type the cichlid is.

Its real name is Amatitlania nigrofasciata.
The genus name Amatilania is used because of the lake where they were first “discovered” by Europeans in the late 1800s, lake Amatitlán. They range from Guatemala south into Panama.

There are some different forms though, which may have to do with the location where they are found.
There is Amatitlania kanna found on the Atlantic coast of Panama.
There is Amatitlania siquia found in the Siquia river, also on the Atlantic coast of Panama north of Rama.
There is also Amatitlania coatepeque, from the lake of the same name in El Salvado
These forms are not solely based on color, but locations where found..
But since this cichlid has been in the hobby since around 1930, it has been line bred to form many colors. Calico, pink, white, albino, and there is talk that a Glo-variation will soon be available.

And yes, many Amatitlania breed a a very small size
The name “convict has also been used erroneously to describe some other species Amatitlania but I believe again they are Pet Store names used because people are either too lazy, or unwilling to learn real names.

There is Amatitlania nanoluteus, often called a “yellow convict”.

Amatitlania Honduran Red Point, often called a “blue convict

The female of the above pair was barely over an inch at her 1st spawn
and others like A mynae.
awesome thanks that really gave me some perspective and really good info i didnt know there were that many. and i understand with the pet store names. my old man went in and asked for a juvenile jack dempsey and he came home with a texas cichlid [which i thought was beautiful and i really liked the shape more then a jack dempsey] but the simple fact that there to lazy to know the fish names let alone the scientific name. you have a great day and thanks again

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Agree with Duane, and you'll find the same thing with other types of fish, the same fish going by different names. It leads to a lot of confusion and questions on forums-- not always answered correctly.

The only thing I'd qualify is it's not always a hobbyist's fault or because they're lazy, it's part of the learning curve on the way to becoming a more serious or knowledgeable aquarist. I don't always have an issue with some of the common trade names for a fish, but if anything I blame sellers or others who perpetuate confusion by inventing and attaching new names to fish to make common or man made fish sound more exotic or special. A traditional or accepted trade name or well known hobby name for a fish without a scientific classification yet are all one thing, but I laugh at all the 'sunburst' this and 'dragon' that names in recent years, everyone and their pet orangutan trying to cash in on breeding a 'new' strain of some common fish or make a fish that's been around forever sound extra sexy. :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Duane, and you'll find the same thing with other types of fish, the same fish going by different names. It leads to a lot of confusion and questions on forums-- not always answered correctly.

The only thing I'd qualify is it's not always a hobbyist's fault or because they're lazy, it's part of the learning curve on the way to becoming a more serious or knowledgeable aquarist. I don't always have an issue with some of the common trade names for a fish, but if anything I blame sellers or others who perpetuate confusion by inventing and attaching new names to fish to make common or man made fish sound more exotic or special. A traditional or accepted trade name or well known hobby name for a fish without a scientific classification yet are all one thing, but I laugh at all the 'sunburst' this and 'dragon' that names in recent years, everyone and their pet orangutan trying to cash in on breeding a 'new' strain of some common fish or make a fish that's been around forever sound extra sexy. :)
I agree, it is probably more the sellers problem.
If a seller doesn't use an authentic scientific name in conjunction with a trade name, I am usually suspicious, and won't buy from them.
Take the name Red Terror. There are at least two species associated with the name, either Mayaheros uropthalmus, and/or Mesoheros festae.
If you buy something only labeled as red terror, and you expect to receive M festae, chances are probably only 50% you will get what you are after.
Another trade name is the Pearl Cichlid.
I have found it given to at least 3 different genera, and many species.
Geophagus braziliensus is the first one I saw years ago, and any number of the Satanoperca complex, and even a number of the Herichthys carpintus complex.
And the term "red head cichlids", could be at least 3 or 4 of the genus Vieja, and even some of the Geophagus from west of the Andes, and more

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Another trade name is the Pearl Cichlid.
I have found it given to at least 3 different genera, and many species.
Geophagus braziliensus is the first one I saw years ago, and any number of the Satanoperca complex, and even a number of the Herichthys carpintus complex.
And the term "red head cichlids", could be at least 3 or 4 of the genus Vieja, and even some of the Geophagus from west of the Andes, and more
Yeah, and I love it when someone asks a question about something like a 'pearl cichlid' with no photo or other name, so you have to try and divine which fish they're actually talking about. :)

Reactions: CichlidBeautyAlways

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
ha i yea i have a geo bras [which he was labeled under] and i read that they go by pearl cichlid also my texas cichlid was under a pearl cichlid...very confusing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store