Broadtail ryukins, anywhere I can buy them? (for a price under $50)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I'm interested in broadtail ryukins. I know of many places that sell them, but they all sell them for over $50. In another thread I made I talked about how I planned out a goldfish tank... Most likely I'm just going to get one or two goldfish, most likely a panda telescope butterfly. My only issue with those is that they only have that panda pattern for only a few months or a year before all that pattern just disappears or turns orange. nothing wrong with ending up with pretty much a 12 point red butterfly, but I also like broadtail ryukins a lot...
looking for anywhere I can buy them at around 3 inches, and any pattern other than plain red or calico. (even then I haven't found any in calico... I found one site that sells red broadtail ryukins for $9 though...)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Find a local breeder on goldfish forum or something and see if they'll sell you some unculled fry and try your luck! If you just want a nice goldfish, go to a lfs and pick out what you like. This whole $50+ ea. goldfish thing is for people who want some highborn purebred fish. If all you want is something you think looks nice, you can spend $3 on a beautiful, healthy goldfish that will never win a show but be your pet for the rest of your life if you care for it well.

Reactions: Hybridfish7

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I still can't find anywhere that sells broadtail ryukins... not anywhere local or anything... I can ask my lfs to special order for me. I know the owner... The place also sells reptiles and I've special ordered leopard geckos before. They've got this rare butterflyfish that was special ordered, but the customer never came to pick it up. I haven't been there for awhile so idk if someone came for it, but then again the last time i was there they said the thing had been there for a few months... anyway if someone can special order a rare butterflyfish, I'm sure I can get a broadtail ryukin no problem.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Is broadtail a specific shape or length of the tail? I haven’t heard of it before.
I got my two at petco a few years back for under $4.
From what I’ve seen fish stores carry more of the high show quality goldies and ask a lot for them. Too much for me to justify, lol. I’m still waiting for a good priced redcap Oranda to finish off my collection.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
if you know veiltail goldfish, it's pretty much like that.
<-- here's one

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store