Broken Claw

Blue394

Feeder Fish
Aug 27, 2017
I have a Blue Crawfish, his name is Blue (I know very original). Today he somehow managed to break his claw. He didn't break it off, he broke one of the 'prongs'(?maybe I'm not sure what it's called) in the middle. It didn't snap clean in two, instead it's just a break with his muscle and tissue protruding out of it. I know that crawfish regenerate after molting the only problem is, he molted two days ago. And his molts are taking longer since he's close to being full grown. Right now I'm just worried about it becoming infected and it killing him before he ever has the chance to regenerate the claw. Any advice?

image.jpeg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You say his molts are taking longer, ...are you feeding him foods specific for crays? I ask because he needs a source for calcium to construct a properly strengthened exoskeleton. He also needs iodine to facilitate the molt. If you're feeding him regular fish food, you can place some aragonite rice gravel in with his tank gravel. It'll slowly dissolve and offer him the calcium he needs. The cheap iodine from a dept store pharmacy is just fine for the cray. You only need to add 1 drop every couple of weeks to the tank.

As far as his pincer damage, if it begins to necrose, or cause him any problems, he will shed the pincer himself. So, just leave it.

Reactions: tlindsey

Blue394

Feeder Fish
Aug 27, 2017
Thank you for the quick reply. I keep a steady supply of minnows in the tank for him (I try to keep two or three in there at a time for him), and also feed him sinking shrimp pellets. I also always leave his old exoskeleton in the tank for him, he tends to finish it in about 3-4 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store