BROKEN GATER, KILL IT OR KEEP IT ?

care for a"special fish"or put it down for its own good?

• Total voters

Neervana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
UK
don't decapitate! i read online it still hurts the fish. i mean what if u cant chop the head off and its still alive? nooo that would be sad - do clove oil, its the best option.

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
John Rambo;1784735; said:
Actually, its seems to be only a third as active as before. It moves 3/4 of its body just fine. its just the tail, but its enough to get me thinking about killing it.
Not that I have decided, How would I go about doing it?
if i need to euthenise a fish i use clove oil at 25 drops per litre,its quite fast acting but i leave the fish in the water for 30 mins just to make sure they have past on.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
bigspizz;1784761; said:
Clove oil, or decapitation....
i would think decapitation wouldn't be a very good idea on a gar. I would think the chance would be too high of not going all the way through.

I say see how it does.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Jeox;1784868; said:
i would think decapitation wouldn't be a very good idea on a gar. I would think the chance would be too high of not going all the way through.

I say see how it does.

I would also try and save it, and I have said that...He asked a question, I answered it....I would not recommend a butter knife to decapitate a gar, and banging it against a wall does not seem to be that good of an idea with a gar either....

moonchild1970

BICHIR BABE
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
Spokane, WA
IMO:
If he is still eating he is still wanting to live. Most animals quit eating when they want to give up and the pain is too much. They have more wisdom then you think.

I would separate him into his own smaller tank, lower water levels, baby him and see how he does. Go with your gut. I always do.

The fish will let you know.

If he sits in a corner and seems to give up, then and only then, would I euthanize.

I've seen animal miracles, that I bet would astound you.

Including my own dog that had a broken back and recovered. Everyone was against my saving her but I went on to have almost 12 more yrs with her. It was worth it.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
moonchild1970;1785265; said:
IMO:
If he is still eating he is still wanting to live. Most animals quit eating when they want to give up and the pain is too much. They have more wisdom then you think.

I would separate him into his own smaller tank, lower water levels, baby him and see how he does. Go with your gut. I always do.

The fish will let you know.

If he sits in a corner and seems to give up, then and only then, would I euthanize.

I've seen animal miracles, that I bet would astound you.

Including my own dog that had a broken back and recovered. Everyone was against my saving her but I went on to have almost 12 more yrs with her. It was worth it.
well said

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store