Brown Hoplo Max Water Temperature?

Sevvie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hi, new member who's been lurking and (re)learning for several weeks as I slowly gather/upgrade equipment and get back into things.

About a month ago I picked up a couple of Brown Hoplo catfish (definitely Hoplosternum littorale with the forked tails) and stuck them in an unheated 20 gallon tank to quarantine—in that time I've fallen in love with these guys. Temp on that tank is 72-75 (usually 74) degrees Fahrenheit, and they seem to be happy and thriving. Meantime, I have a 3.5"-4" Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis) in my 65-gallon tank. I'd like to add the Brown Hoplos to the 65-gallon to add a little activity to the tank (all fish are similar in size, the Hoplos maybe a tad bigger at 4-5 inches), but I keep the larger tank at 80 Fahrenheit.

I don't think I'd want to go below 78 for the Chocolate Cichlid, and from everything I read I'd prefer to keep him at 80.

Would 80 be too high for the Hoplos? If not, I'd add a heater to their 20-gallon and raise the temp a degree at a time over a few weeks. Online info about the Hoplos indicate they're quite hardy, but most of their (wide) temperature ranges seem to indicate 75-76 as upper limit. Are they thriving for anybody at higher temperatures?

A bigger tank is in the plans (I've been picking up extra filters, heaters, etc. as my budget allows so I have everything once I'm ready), so worst-case scenario is the Hoplos move to the 65 after the Chocolate Cichlid gets his upgrade (hoping to do a 5-6 foot long South American-themed tank). Ideally everyone makes that move together, but again, I'm curious/worried about the higher temperature.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Cliff

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK about this particular species but the invasive hoplos survive in 90F-100F water in almost every puddle in Florida. They appear indestructible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store