brutal jack dempsey. HELP!!!!

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
omg, this guy has a 4 foot tank and you all are telling him to add a whole list of fish, that depending on what the gallons are and not the length, would not be suitable for this tank. Do not add a Dovii or an Oscar. Do not add silver dollars to the tank, it is entirely to small for a fish that swims that much and can reach 6", if you dont believe me come see mine.

Amphilophus88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Holland
Maybe if you really like plecos you can add another one (would'nt add a really big one like gibbiceps) since you said he doesn't bother the bristlenose.

nater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2010
Appleton, WI
You could also try dropping the temp of the tank, depending on what its at now.

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
nater;4120433; said:
You could also try dropping the temp of the tank, depending on what its at now.
That might work, but in my opinion once a JD has been solo for awhile they like to stay that way and it is not easy to get them to coexist with other fish.

Timothen12

Feeder Fish
May 4, 2010
Australia
Tried putting other fish in like convicts and an oscar larger then him. he ate them all. there was 5 convicts in there now there fish food. im starting to think a jack dempsey was not a good idea. not putting a jag in there. i really like my fish.

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
you could try puttting mor jd's of the same size or larger maybe a large lobster of some sort or a big red devil you could try pretty much any other large and aggressive ciclid but i fear that it will probably end up with one of the two dead if your honestly at wits end i would rehome your jd or put him in appropriately sized tank by himself i had to do this with a full grown red devil once because i was experiencing a similar problem anyways goood luck

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Timothen12;4121453; said:
Tried putting other fish in like convicts and an oscar larger then him. he ate them all. there was 5 convicts in there now there fish food. im starting to think a jack dempsey was not a good idea. not putting a jag in there. i really like my fish.
How many gallons is your four foot tank?

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
clownie33;4121463; said:
you could try puttting mor jd's of the same size or larger maybe a large lobster of some sort or a big red devil you could try pretty much any other large and aggressive ciclid but i fear that it will probably end up with one of the two dead if your honestly at wits end i would rehome your jd or put him in appropriately sized tank by himself i had to do this with a full grown red devil once because i was experiencing a similar problem anyways goood luck
The original poster has a four foot tank (most likely a 55 gallon), without knowing how many gallons how can you recommend putting in a big red devil or any other large aggressive cichlid? A red devil or any other large aggressive cichlid require a 55 gallon tank (minimum) by themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store