brutal jack dempsey. HELP!!!!

Amphilophus88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Holland
clownie33;4121463; said:
you could try puttting mor jd's of the same size or larger maybe a large lobster of some sort or a big red devil you could try pretty much any other large and aggressive ciclid but i fear that it will probably end up with one of the two dead if your honestly at wits end i would rehome your jd or put him in appropriately sized tank by himself i had to do this with a full grown red devil once because i was experiencing a similar problem anyways goood luck
The poster said he really likes his fish so adding a red devil is not the smartest idea

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
uncwnells;4120308; said:
omg, this guy has a 4 foot tank and you all are telling him to add a whole list of fish, that depending on what the gallons are and not the length, would not be suitable for this tank. Do not add a Dovii or an Oscar. Do not add silver dollars to the tank, it is entirely to small for a fish that swims that much and can reach 6", if you dont believe me come see mine.
I completely agree with this. I have 4, 6-7'' SD in a 72g and that seems too small.

Also cichilds don't learn lessons...they just do what instinct tells them.

I would not add anything to the tank. What is wrong with having a single JD in a 4'' tank? When it gets 10'' that tank will look tinny. Just leave it alone or get a bigger tank. It is better then wasting money on dead tank mates.

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
uncwnells;4120308; said:
omg, this guy has a 4 foot tank and you all are telling him to add a whole list of fish, that depending on what the gallons are and not the length, would not be suitable for this tank. Do not add a Dovii or an Oscar. Do not add silver dollars to the tank, it is entirely to small for a fish that swims that much and can reach 6", if you dont believe me come see mine.
I disagree, you can get small silver dollars and give them time to grow. If they become too big you can turn around and sell \ trade them for new ones. You might even get some store credit for the big ones. SDs seem to be pricey for some reason.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
TrikkyMakk;4122377; said:
I disagree, you can get small silver dollars and give them time to grow. If they become too big you can turn around and sell \ trade them for new ones. You might even get some store credit for the big ones. SDs seem to be pricey for some reason.
I have been looking for large silver dollars around my area for two years now. They are sorta rare it seems. :)

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
LowCel;4122552; said:
I have been looking for large silver dollars around my area for two years now. They are sorta rare it seems. :)
You can get small ones (or maybe the LFS can special order them) which is what I had to do. I had 4 large ones (two died from my original 6) and so I have bought 6 more small ones a couple of months ago. They grow real fast if you feed them well (they are voracious).

I actually feed them veggie flakes first to fill them up and then feed the rest of my fish.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
LowCel;4122552; said:
I'd give you mine but my wife would kill me :D She hates my fish tanks, but loves those SD.

fallin49er

Gambusia
MFK Member
What's wrong with having just a single fish in your tank? If it is killing everything you put in with it; then why try adding more? It will just continue to kill. JD's are solitary fish and will do better by themselves. If I was going to put anything in with it, it would be a female JD that is of comparable size...with lots of rocks and hiding spots...

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
LowCel;4122107; said:
The original poster has a four foot tank (most likely a 55 gallon), without knowing how many gallons how can you recommend putting in a big red devil or any other large aggressive cichlid? A red devil or any other large aggressive cichlid require a 55 gallon tank (minimum) by themselves.
i wasnt suggesting he put in a large red devil i waqs saying that i had a similiar problem with a ded devil once

karri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2009
Reykjavik,Iceland
I agree with alotadollars "Take the dempsey out move everything put new fish in put dempsey back, might work". I wold try a pair of convicts, they are [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]pretty [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]tough. :)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

JIENKINZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2010
New York
Thats funny because my Jack Dempsey is very calm. I guess my Green Terror keeps him in check. Get a female jd that is slightly bigger and see what happens. If she gets beat up you can remove her or vice versa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store