Brycon Falcatus?

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
had a Brycon melanopterus that looked similar. If it's anything like that, it'll grow FAST,

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
had a Brycon melanopterus that looked similar. If it's anything like that, it'll grow FAST,
Melans are what I have...... Agreed, never seen anything grow like my big one did, yet my little one isn't growing near as quick, but I might not even notice with the monster one swimming next to it in a fairly large tank. I heard they only get a foot, but mine's shows no signs of slowing down. I bet the thing's pushing 3" thick.

I bought mine to use as a monster dither, and it has worked well. Very tough, very active, very peaceful.

Using google image search it looks like Melanopterus and Falcatus are the same fish? Taxonomy all screwed up with these guys too? Had one name, name got changed, now there's 2 names???

The black dot is interesting though..... Don't think my big one has a dot, but thought it had a red one when small. My small one DOES have a red dot behind the gill plate. :confused: I think adipose is a different color too??? Maybe there IS 2 species that look very similar.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Here's what I have, whatever they are...... :nilly:

DSCN7857.JPG

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I don't think the falcatus get as big as the melanopterus and they develop a forked patern in there tails(as in the b/w pic) as well as some red coloring

250px-Brycon_falcatus.jpg

bry falcatus.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Are the pics above both Falcatus? One has a dot behind the gill plate, the other doesn't, one has the "V" on the tail, the other doesn't......

I'm even more confused now..... :ROFL:

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
Haha well the pic isde02 posted looks awesome! If it's true that they don't grow as large as yours (DB junkie), I need to find a way to get a school! Now to figure which is which.... :confused::nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store