Build of my 1850 g tank

Magnus_andersson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2020
Sweden
Great Build ! I’m currently in the process of deciding between doing my own build or taking the easy way out and buying a fiberglass tank.
Can I ask why you choose to do liner vs sealing it with an epoxy ? Also how do you plan to install the window with the liner ?

thanks !
I go with liner becouse i have seen many good builds this way. I will mount a stainless steel frame from the inside with screws, to lock and prevent the liner from stretch and move. Glue glass against the steel. Fiberglass/polyester or epoxi is good for sure. But i have actually seen even those builds that have got cracks and leaked out to the wood. Liner is tough and can be stretched really much. Weak against sharp objects thou.

Magnus_andersson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2020
Sweden
Great Build ! I’m currently in the process of deciding between doing my own build or taking the easy way out and buying a fiberglass tank.
Can I ask why you choose to do liner vs sealing it with an epoxy ? Also how do you plan to install the window with the liner ?

thanks !
Thanks by the way?

Magnus_andersson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2020
Sweden
Great Idea!
Where did you get the stainless steel frame from ? Or are you building that custom as well ?
Buy steel from a well sorted store.The frame will be fitted for this tank. Going to use austenitic stainless 4404. Not ordinary sheap stainless that is less hardier against corrosion

Reactions: Matteus

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
What a cool thread! I can't wait for the next installment. Very interesting. Every time I build a tank I say that I will try a liner system...and yet I always end up painting with epoxy again.

Is the window frame going to be assembled into a single complete unit? Or will the individual pieces be installed and sealed separately? And is the silicone-to-metal adhesion sufficient to support the glass, or will there be some sort of internal support structure?

That does it! Next time...liner for sure...:)

Magnus_andersson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2020
Sweden
What a cool thread! I can't wait for the next installment. Very interesting. Every time I build a tank I say that I will try a liner system...and yet I always end up painting with epoxy again.

Is the window frame going to be assembled into a single complete unit? Or will the individual pieces be installed and sealed separately? And is the silicone-to-metal adhesion sufficient to support the glass, or will there be some sort of internal support structure?

That does it! Next time...liner for sure...:)
As comes to the frame you can mount it in pieces or weld a complete frame. Dosnt make big difference. I hope the sealant will hold the glass cus i dont have any support for it. It will be 40 mm overlap that will be glued so it has quite good strench in it

TurtleBoy422

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2020
Central IL
Like to see pics of how your doing the frame just for reference. I’ve built ponds before using a liner, but haven’t been brave enough to try doing one with a window. I keep Rays mainly, so the pond style works. But i loose out on being able to see my other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store