Building My 1000 Gallon Plywood Tank

fmjnax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2005
TX
I know this discussion is long past, but polyester resin by itself (either sprayed or rolled) is NOT a good choice for waterproofing/coating wood. By nature, it is very brittle and will crack far easier and quicker than epoxy resin. It is not a glue like epoxy is. Epoxy will give you a better chemical and mechanical bond, where-as polyester is really just a (weak) mechanical bond. Add some chopped strand mat or a biaxial with poly resin and you'll be good. Use poly resin by itself and I will put money on the table that it is cracked within 12 months.

Now, with that said, I like the look of your tank. It looks like something I would put in my basement (if I had one)!

mastergt35

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2011
MI
I know this discussion is long past, but polyester resin by itself (either sprayed or rolled) is NOT a good choice for waterproofing/coating wood. By nature, it is very brittle and will crack far easier and quicker than epoxy resin. It is not a glue like epoxy is. Epoxy will give you a better chemical and mechanical bond, where-as polyester is really just a (weak) mechanical bond. Add some chopped strand mat or a biaxial with poly resin and you'll be good. Use poly resin by itself and I will put money on the table that it is cracked within 12 months.

Now, with that said, I like the look of your tank. It looks like something I would put in my basement (if I had one)!

Thanks lol

I did not use polyester resin I used west systems epoxy actually . I think I explained everything in an earlier post but I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Looks awesome man, I like how your tank makes the oscars look like guppys!! lol

...Really shows how monster your tank really is !

Any updates ? Did you find anymore fish to put in it? :D

surfpalmsncycads

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2010
whittier ca
this tank is sick! its lighting a fire for me to start mine. i love how you used 4x4s in this build. ill be doing the same now. thanks for the inspiration. as for stocking i wouldnt jump right in. think about it. you have an awsome tank. you need some awsome fish. nothing you can buy at a lfs. order something rare you dont ever get to see especialy in a tank that size. badd ass man!

em16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2012
Central Texas
wow. what an amazing project! I want to do something like this! oh wait. I'm renting. no freaking way I'd be moving such a big tank. all the beer in the world wouldn't get my friends volunteering to help. haha. but my dad should be moving into a permanent residence soon. maybe I can talk him into a daddy/daughter project for practice. Definitely did an amazing job here though. you're an inspiration to the noobs.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
It just stopped... lol Whats going on with this thing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store