Building new sump

rokit_armor

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
kansas
I picked up a couple old sliding glass doors (made sure they were plate, not tempered like the last pair I got) to salvage for new lids and a front for our TV-rerrium for the beardies. After quite a few "practice" cuts I have a pane and half left. I want to make a new sump for my setup with it. My only question is about the placement of the sock filters. Do I place them in a fashion like this:
proflex-sump-2.jpg

Which seems like a quiet design, no splashing, the water runs over the top of the filters, if they clog it just goes over the overflow barrier.

Or should I do the common drain line straight to the sock like so:
p-78538-61696-fish-supplies.jpg

The first method seems like it would be quieter, as well as easier to change the socks.
The second method can be louder, but takes up less space.

I will be upgrading from an Oceanic 150 Trickle with a single 4" 200 micron sock to dual 7"x16" mcmaster-carr "Extended-Life Felt Filter Bag 100/50 Micron" socks. According to my measurements, I should also be able to hold 2x the bio material as my current filter.

proflex-sump-2.jpg

p-78538-61696-fish-supplies.jpg

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
I just switched my sump from the drain lines going straight into the sump to something like the first picture. It is a lot more quite and changing the socks is way easier. I'm still working on the design some of the water goes under the plastic rim of the sock and I'm trying to figure out a good way to get all of the water to go in the sock. Wonder how the aqueon sump has no water go under the sock. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
For me, ultimately, ease of maintenance wins over everything. All my sumps are really loud but I have a separate fish room. My filter socks are easy to swap out.

Fresh water sumps don't need to be super fancy like the above pictures. I like to use old used 55 gallon tanks, put some baffles in to make three sections. One for the filter sock, one for the bio media, and one for the return pump.

If the noise thing bothers you then go with a design like the first pic. I'm not sure how efficient it is? Seems to me a lot of the water is going to miss the filter. Maybe put a large rock in the filter sock to hold it down?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
For me, ultimately, ease of maintenance wins over everything. All my sumps are really loud but I have a separate fish room. My filter socks are easy to swap out.

Fresh water sumps don't need to be super fancy like the above pictures. I like to use old used 55 gallon tanks, put some baffles in to make three sections. One for the filter sock, one for the bio media, and one for the return pump.

If the noise thing bothers you then go with a design like the first pic. I'm not sure how efficient it is? Seems to me a lot of the water is going to miss the filter. Maybe put a large rock in the filter sock to hold it down?
+1. I use a 55 gallon tank as well with some very poorly constructed "sections" but it works well. As long as the tank is full enough it is relatively quite. I use like filter foam and stuff in mine and when they get really dirty i just take them out and buy new ones cause they are pretty cheap.

As stated, those sumps dont look very efficient to me

rokit_armor

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
kansas
In the second design all you need to do is run the pipe submerged just as quiet!
That's sort of how my design is now, I have 2 1" pipes going 4" below the water line inside the filter sock. I have to remove both pipes to change the filter sock, kind of a PITA. Yes, it is quiet, but I have to worry about spilling water everywhere when I pull the lines just to change the sock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store