Bujurquina oenolaemus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Great pickup.
A friend was working with B vittata, just before I left, and they were quite interesting
That spawning on a leaf behaviour is similar to Andinocara coerleopunctatus, and allows them to move the eggs out of harms way (especially in places where eggs predators like plecos are common), and considered by some, to be a precursor to a mouth breeding step in evolution.
I have watched the Andinoacara cart an egg covered leaf all around my 180 whenever the pleco gets close.
Nice idea cutting the leaf in half
950AFEE3-F708-4268-80D0-DEB5AA517C33_1_201_a.jpeg
Not surprising these Bujurquina and Andinoacara would have similar behaviour patterns, both were considered part of the genus Aequidens for many decades.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The second pair has been releasing their fry throughout the day. So far the first pair stays well hidden and I have not seen them release their fry yet -- the male is always tight-lipped and hiding in a dark corner under some plants.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Investing in a cheap iPhone tripod on Amazon was a great decision. I can finally hit record, walk away, and let the fish do what they do naturally without my presence interfering. I managed to get clips of both pairs releasing fry. I also finally enabled 4K recording which looks way better on YouTube than 1080p does.

abakadodeux

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2022
Hi ryansmith83 ryansmith83 ,

I was wondering where you bought your chiquitano cichlids? They have such great personality and have wanted to get one again. If there are any sites you could point to that carry them or if you’re selling them yourself, I would be happy to buy one off of you.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store