Bumblebee grouper market?

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, not too sure what section this should be in so I chose this one. Being able to experience keeping a young bumblebee grouper (E. lanceolatus) has been a dream of mine for a while now, and I’ve been heavily considering buying one from wes. However, I only have a 180gal and obviously that won’t work for long. I’m wondering if there is anyone who would want it after it outgrows my 180. Not looking to make any money off of it, and I will not buy it unless i have a home set up for it for after it outgrows my 180. Just want to experience this beast of a fish!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys, not too sure what section this should be in so I chose this one. Being able to experience keeping a young bumblebee grouper (E. lanceolatus) has been a dream of mine for a while now, and I’ve been heavily considering buying one from wes. However, I only have a 180gal and obviously that won’t work for long. I’m wondering if there is anyone who would want it after it outgrows my 180. Not looking to make any money off of it, and I will not buy it unless i have a home set up for it for after it outgrows my 180. Just want to experience this beast of a fish!
I avoided the Bumblebee Grouper do to its size. I personally dislike that the are being sold in pure freshwater. I suggest a much smaller specie because you may not get anyone to take it off hands even Public Aquarium's may not want it. I had a Panther Grouper when I had Saltwater setups.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I get tlindsey's angle.

I trust Wes a lot but I have my doubts as I tend to only trust my own firsthand long-term experience and that of other peers who I have an utmost respect for.

If you get it over to us at your own effort and expense, I'd have no reason to refuse taking it in but because it is so risky that the fish will acclimate and do well long term, I have no desire to pay even the shipping. At the moment anyway.

We don't have any marine or brackish tanks, only f/w with medium hardness and TDS.

Having said this, I love it when people get to experience a fish they really wanted, even if for a limited time, and in such a responsible manner as you are manifesting. I'd rather you find someone local to you to vouch to take it in if and when... As a backup, you have my rather ugly offer too.

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
I get tlindsey's angle.

I trust Wes a lot but I have my doubts as I tend to only trust my own firsthand long-term experience and that of other peers who I have an utmost respect for.

If you get it over to us at your own effort and expense, I'd have no reason to refuse taking it in but because it is so risky that the fish will acclimate and do well long term, I have no desire to pay even the shipping. At the moment anyway.

We don't have any marine or brackish tanks, only f/w with medium hardness and TDS.

Having said this, I love it when people get to experience a fish they really wanted, even if for a limited time, and in such a responsible manner as you are manifesting. I'd rather you find someone local to you to vouch to take it in if and when... As a backup, you have my rather ugly offer too.
Can't even lie, I would love to see one of my fish end up in your setups even at my own cost! They are amazing and I know the grouper would be in great hands with you if it takes well to freshwater. I have a local backup plan in place and plan on getting the grouper within the next two or three weeks. But, I will for sure keep your offer in mind and keep you updated on how the grouper is doing in fully freshwater if you are interested.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do the local thing for sure if it satisfies your expectations.

Thank you for your kind words.

I think you should keep everyone updated on this valuable experience and knowledge in your own thread dedicated to this remarkable fish, even this thread, keep it all in one spot, come back with updates and visuals, it'd be awesome and many would be thankful to you, regardless of whether you succeed or struggle or fail, all are valuable learnings.

Reactions: ptgabrys

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
It finally happened, thanks to fugupuff fugupuff . My ~4" E. lanceolatus came in on Tuesday. She's (protogynous hermaphrodite) in a quarantine tank right now- pH: 7.6 (straight from tap), kH: 4, gH: 14, specific gravity: ~1.003. In her qt tank I am currently working on (very slowly) lowering the salinity, raising the kH and lowering the gH to around 9 or so. At the same time in my 180, which is where he will go in a month or so, I am working on increasing the kH to stabilize my pH more at 7.6. The gH in my 180 is already hanging at 7, so I don't have far to go to get that to 9. Once these parameters in both tanks are about equal, I will add her in.

I am using crushed oyster shells to increase kH, and epsom salt for gH.

It took I'd say about 48 hours for her to really settle in, but now she's doing fantastic. She's got a great personality already, her eyes follow me whenever I go near the tank, she's already almost eating out of my hand (cut shrimp) and is curious of everything I'm doing when I'm in the room.

When she saw me take my phone out to take these pictures, she swam right over to check it out. Can't wait to see how she develops.
grouper1.JPG
grouper2.JPG
grouper3.JPG
grouper4.JPG

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store