Bumblebee Oscar updates

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I wonder if the oscar being okay on the bottom has to do with its naturally feeding abilities vs the amphs. The way the mouth on an oscar is positioned and its ability to move its eyes to accommodate water line feeding make it natural for it not to be skittish of things above the water line. I don't see those adaptations on amphs, so being lower than a predator would make it more naturally skittish in the lower tanks.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I wonder if the oscar being okay on the bottom has to do with its naturally feeding abilities vs the amphs. The way the mouth on an oscar is positioned and its ability to move its eyes to accommodate water line feeding make it natural for it not to be skittish of things above the water line. I don't see those adaptations on amphs, so being lower than a predator would make it more naturally skittish in the lower tanks.
That is a good theory, would explain the skittish behavior in the lower level tanks with the amphs. My other residents are a hairy puffer in the other 65B and a group of Shellies in the 30 gallon and neither one of those have issues, pretty much just any amphs Ive tried out in these lower tanks.

Reactions: Deadeye

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Sold off my last trimac and the 90 was open for the Oscar and an impulse buy had me have to move him out a bit sooner than intended. I want to rethink the decor but for now super simple and room for him to swim around.
IMG_20211120_162551418.jpg
I know, super boring but temporary until I find the right driftwood pieces.

Nothing to do with this thread but wondering what impulse buy made me have to open up the 65B?
IMG_20211120_164404736_BURST000_COVER.jpg
A nice little red wolf around 5"+

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I love Crassipinnis, easily one of my fave Oscars and you have some stunners. But I have to ask, when you say you sold off your last Trimac you don't mean you didn't keep one? Or just the last of the ones you had intended to sell, leaving you with your personal favorite of them? Cause I was digging your Trimac journey.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I love Crassipinnis, easily one of my fave Oscars and you have some stunners. But I have to ask, when you say you sold off your last Trimac you don't mean you didn't keep one? Or just the last of the ones you had intended to sell, leaving you with your personal favorite of them? Cause I was digging your Trimac journey.
Oh no did not sell all of them. Sold the last of the five that were up for sale but kept the one male that I wanted out of that batch of six I got from Max’s. Was tough at that point because the two final fish were the best of the best with the one sold having the better personality but the one I kept had the characteristics I wanted in the catch location with the elongated body. I need to get some updated pics done.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Oh no did not sell all of them. Sold the last of the five that were up for sale but kept the one male that I wanted out of that batch of six I got from Max’s. Was tough at that point because the two final fish were the best of the best with the one sold having the better personality but the one I kept had the characteristics I wanted in the catch location with the elongated body. I need to get some updated pics done.
Okay, very cool; as I said I liked I was enjoying your thread. I liked seeing them as they progress as they age. Can't wait to see your Tri updates.

Not to derail and I've shown this pic in the past but I had a pair of O's I really regret selling. I could never get a accurate ID on them. They where sold to me by a local LFS as Chocolate O's and I always wondered if they where possibly Crassipinnis. I feel like they have to be a wild strain but I just don't know.

View media item 50822

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
So nice. Funny I've been looking into these lately. I've gotten use to a community setting though so I'm not sure it will work out

Okay, very cool; as I said I liked I was enjoying your thread. I liked seeing them as they progress as they age. Can't wait to see your Tri updates.

Not to derail and I've shown this pic in the past but I had a pair of O's I really regret selling. I could never get a accurate ID on them. They where sold to me by a local LFS as Chocolate O's and I always wondered if they where possibly Crassipinnis. I feel like they have to be a wild strain but I just don't know.

View media item 50822
That looks pretty close to the orinoco oscar I had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store