Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin

Reactions: Jexnell and Hank82

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Apologies to Jexnell Jexnell but half of Silicone's greatness is that it never gets brittle in the freezing cold.

Reactions: Jexnell

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Apologies to Jexnell Jexnell but half of Silicone's greatness is that it never gets brittle in the freezing cold.
I was recently having to cut through some silicone on the edge of my siding trim, and at 30+ years old, in an area with very cold winters, it was very much intact and doing its job. With aquariums I'd be more worried about them being moved too much and stressing the joints.

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Just bought the tank, the only problem is the top trim/brace is gone. He said the center brace broke and he decided to take it all off. He kept it filled with water for a couple months, decided he was done with the hobby, then emptied the tank, and it’s been sitting empty for a couple months since. My question is how important is the top brace? If so, how do I replace it?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Glue a 1/4" thick glass brace in the middle, from front to back, with silicone.
At least 6" wide or more.
There are other ways but that's easy once you get the glass.
You can laminate glass with silicone to make the brace stronger, and get more silicone on the joints.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
1/2" would give a much better joint., and I can't believe that long tank only had one center brace.

I would have at least two or one seriously wide brace.

The brace on my 125 is actually two glass braces, with a small plastic T.

They are each 10" wide and .224" thick (6mm glass)

Reactions: Hank82

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
GE #1 is the standard. Other brands work if they don't have anti-bacterial additives. GE #2 does have them. #1 does not.

Microscopic cleanliness is the key to a good bond, and don't move anything until it cures up solid.

High humidity = faster cure.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store